Question for sports medicine docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niko17

Reaction score
1) What is your practice setting? Independent, work with an ortho group, work as a team doctor, do 50% primary care 50% sports med, combination, etc??

2) What residency did you graduate from? If it was not family medicine, did you feel it was harder to get into a SM fellowship?

3) What extracurriculars and whatknot would you recommend a resident do to increase their chances of matching to a SM fellowship?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1) What is your practice setting? Independent, work with an ortho group, work as a team doctor, do 50% primary care 50% sports med, combination, etc??
I'm in academics...teaching within a FM residency. I do my own FM clinic 1/2 to 1 day/week. Sports clinic with residents a few half days a week. Precepting residents/procedure clinics the rest of the time. A large amount of MSK medicine in our FM clinic as were military.
No team coverage yet...but working on it. Residents have opportunities with local docs.

2) What residency did you graduate from? If it was not family medicine, did you feel it was harder to get into a SM fellowship?
FM residency

3) What extracurriculars and whatknot would you recommend a resident do to increase their chances of matching to a SM fellowship?
Cover a team longitudinally (a few seasons would be awesome), a variety of sports, go to AMSSM, do a poster at AMSSM, cover big events (marathon, etc), publish something sports related. Leadership things prob help too...chief resident, etc.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
I'm faculty for sports fellowship. Work with professional surfing/skateboarding/snowboarding. Team physician for D1 university, and a local community college. Cover training rooms at the colleges 3 half days per week. Precept with FM residents 1-2 half days per week. Sports clinic the rest of the time.

FM resident - unopposed hospital based clinic heavy on OB and inpatient.
Fellowship - to be a good fellow, you have to be a good resident first. Learn medicine and show interest. It's pretty easy to tell who is interested and who is just doing it because they think it is be easier. I graduated fellowship and then worked for a big hospital group. I then returned as faculty for the fellowship program when they reached out to me.

Event coverage is extremely helpful. As a resident I covered two D3 hockey teams, club rugby, and one high school all 3 years. I also covered intermittent skateboarding and mountain biking events. Go to the fellowship fair at AMSSM and talk to the programs. Poster presentations are "ok" but not high yield. When I review applications for our program, I really like to see longitudinal commitment to sports and event coverage. We all know it's a big time commitment, especially intern year, but making that effort says a lot about a persons dedication to the specialty. Also, don't pander to a crap story in the personal statement. I want to know why you like sports. When you graduate from a fellowship, you will represent that program for life. Tell me why I should commit to a relationship like that.

Reactions: 2 users