Question for the ladies in surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doyouhaveaflag

No flag, no country
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very serious question regarding a bra strap issue that has been plaguing me for a long time. My bra straps keep coming down during cases, and it is particularly irksome during long cases when I can't fix the issue for upwards of 10 hours.

At first, it's just annoying because the straps that are then around my deltoids feel restrictive as I move my arms. However, over time the whole apparatus keeps moving down and it basically turns into a strapless bra. No support at all! May as well be braless.

I have tried tightening the straps, and it just delays when during the case this happens. Has anyone else had this issue? Have you found anything that works?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... can't say that I've had that problem on any regular basis.

Perhaps a different brand of bra or one with thicker straps as noted above (and FWIW, if your straps are providing all the support then you are wearing the wrong size/brand bra).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wear lululemon crossback yoga type bras to work because of this. It is annoying AF. I also have a bunch of Victoria’s Secret bras that can be converted to the crossback style but I feel like the band rides up.

Reactions: 2 users
The above suggestions are good. Like WS said, you may be wearing the wrong size (or a bra that has lost it's elastic). There are department stores that do free fittings and you might want to check it out or mention in the lingerie department that you have an issue with the straps as that alone may be a clue to the problem.

There are also items that are designed to hold bra straps together in the back. Try "bra strap holder" on google; they aren't expensive and certainly are cheaper than buying new bras.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with all the above. I use sports bras because they are more comfortable in general when I might be in the hospital for long hours. In earlier years I wore tank tops under my scrubs, the kind with the build in bra. And I think you need to be remeasured. Have found from experience that I measure differently for Victoria’s Secret than at department stores so depending on your preference would get both done.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all! I'll look into the lululemon sports bras and those strap clips and see which works better.

It's probably also true my elastic is stretched out since the last time I went bra shopping was maybe 10 years ago. I like bra shopping about as much as jeans shopping, which is to say I hate it a lot. Guess it's time to head to the mall.

Thanks all! I'll look into the lululemon sports bras and those strap clips and see which works better.

It's probably also true my elastic is stretched out since the last time I went bra shopping was maybe 10 years ago. I like bra shopping about as much as jeans shopping, which is to say I hate it a lot. Guess it's time to head to the mall.

Get properly measured once at a place you like, and as long as your size doesn’t change too much you always have the option to shop online for future purchases. I haven’t bought a bra in person for several years but I do try to update the wardrobe now and then as they get older!

Yeah 10 years is a recipe for disaster (well not really but at least discomfort). I don’t know that most people really enjoy bra shopping. If I feel my current bras fit well, I don’t bother getting remeasured I just buy online.

T

10 years?!!! Yeah you need new bras.

Get fitted by an old lady with a tape measure around her neck; they’re best found at large department stores or specialty shops not VS.

The bra strap thingy is sold at Target; probably most easily accessible and cheap or Amazon.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't need lululemon sports bras. Any decent sports bra will work.

Members don't see this ad :)
T

10 years?!!! Yeah you need new bras.

Get fitted by an old lady with a tape measure around her neck; they’re best found at large department stores or specialty shops not VS.

The bra strap thingy is sold at Target; probably most easily accessible and cheap or Amazon.

I have very large breasts and finding a bra that won’t break the bank can be a challenge. I definitely recommend Target! My best bra was from there; better than the one I bought at Macy’s.

Some of us need more than light support lol. I do fine with non-fancy sports bras in the racerback style. Without smooshing.

Can we just say work sports bras for the win?
Sports bras feel good but don’t make my girls look as happy. Sadly I will always need that darn bra wire. Frick! :p

I don’t care how I look at work. I’m wearing scrubs and I’m not there to show off my physical assets. I want comfort and functionality.
She’s a Pre-Med which makes sense as you’re right: scrubs are in no way body highlighting and most of us are just there to work not really care about whether were pleasuring others with our appearance.

She’s a Pre-Med which makes sense as you’re right: scrubs are in no way body highlighting and most of us are just there to work not really care about whether were pleasuring others with our appearance.
I am also a mother who will also be a surgeon one day. If I could have it my way, I would be bra-less which is the ultimate comfort. However, appearance to a certain extent matters even in scrubs.

I am also a mother who will also be a surgeon one day. If I could have it my way, I would be bra-less which is the ultimate comfort. However, appearance to a certain extent matters even in scrubs.

How your boobs looks while working as a surgeon in scrubs doesn’t matter, as long as your appearance is professional. Personally I don’t want anyone thinking about my boobs at work. So the sports bra works just fine.

For example right now:

8A9CC4FF-7447-41CB-87C3-2369AF03B52C.jpeg

How your boobs looks while working as a surgeon in scrubs doesn’t matter, as long as your appearance is professional. Personally I don’t want anyone thinking about my boobs at work. So the sports bra works just fine.
I don’t about others.
Thank you! I think I am self conscious because I am like a size G(not by choice, just after having my 3 kids). And I always get the Uniboob problem. Glad to know bra comfort beyond types of footwear reigns supreme.

Look, I'm as looks/fashion conscious as the next but focusing on how your breasts look in scrubs should be number 12,347 on your list of things to worry about. Wear a supportive bra, look professional and clean and you're good.

Wearing a sports bra has made residency infinitely more enjoyable. No matter how well-fitting your bra is, at some point you will be retracting something at a weird angle and your strap will slip down off your shoulder and then the rest of the case will sit there reminding you of how annoying it is.

So here is a trick. If you wear a T-shirt under your scrubs, sew in loops (with a little snap) under the shoulders of the shirt, where your bra strap would sit. Loop it around the bra strap, snap in place, and voila. No more falling down. Some dresses have this built in and I’ve just discovered it, it’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a few bras this happens on. Racer back bras or the various clip options to convert normal bras to racer back completely eliminate the issue even if they don't fit well (obviously good fit is better but if you can tolerate your current bras then using the clips is fine)
I have this kind I found at like a dollar store or something
75_0.jpg

Problem is if your straps aren't long enough pulling them so close together will pull your boobs up (maybe good thing) and be tight (not so good).
Something like this might be better in that case
Back_Strap_Holder_Clear_Adjustable_Pin_Straps_6caa3a61-c370-410f-9ae2-4ebe4604ebda.jpg