Question for the ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abs1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is clearly a recent upward trend in the number of female applicants and acceptances into optomerty schools. There are still more men practicing optometry today, but there are more females in the schools. As a male about to enter, I'd like to ask cpw and Cassandra what it is about optometry that attracts so many women? Just curious....and thought we needed a new topic. Let me know what you think?! :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

well, there's definitely an upswing in the number of women in ALL health professions.. not just optometry. some medical schools have a >50% female entering class. Dental school female admissions are increasing.. as are optometry schools. I think the reason is that health care has always appealed to women. it just hasn't always been available to us. Doctoring used to be a good ol' boy profession. But, I think women are generally seen as more caring or nurturing. I know this isn't always true... (so don't jump on me for saying it) but it can be what draws women to health care.

I know for me it was being able to use the science that I enjoy while also interacting with others. As you can tell i'm VERY extroverted.. and being whole up in a research lab eight hours a day was definitely NOT for me.
(insert puke gremlin here) :p

Well, there's my two cents. I'm sure women are drawn to health care for many more reasons. Another good question might be.. where the heck are all the men?? ;)
My guess are that there are more lucrative jobs guys are attracted to right out of school (engineering and CS)

Well, there you have it! Thanks, cpw! (YOU, an extrovert??.....naaaahhhhhhhhh ;))

Yea, I guess some of the men are off in more lucrative professions?? (As are some women no doubt) You couldnt pay me to do some of those jobs. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah.. you couldn't pay me to sit in front of a computer all day *hehehehheheeh* well... you know what I mean. ;) Programming!! I meant programming!!! :D

I must say I have to agree with cpw...

I love science. I first went to Purdue for Molecular bio. I switched my sophmore year cause I couldn't see myself working in a lab all day, and didn't think there was anything else besides medschool out there. I had no desire to go to med school...So I thought hey...a lawyer was always number two on my list..why not make it number 1....

Of course by the time I finished school...I knew why :) The more I researched the field the more disenchanted I became. So I considered social work or business (since I had management exp).

Well I never thought about becoming an optometrist for some reason. Even after I started working for LC. I took classes toward my MBA, classes in Web Development and design..A+ certification..but nothing was really feeling right. I loved working with computers and stuff..but I didn't feel satisfied in my service to society...

I was helping a lady at my store one day, and I mentioned I was a student as well. She thought I was in opt school. I corrected her, and she said "Honey, trust me. You belong in this profession. You oughta be an optometrist!"

Well...it hit me. Why not? The more I researched, the better things got. I could get decent hours, provide for my son, have more time to spend with him, and be helping at the same time. I mentioned the conversation to my GM, who was also my mentor, and to our doctor. They both smiled real big, and said. "She's right. You oughta go for it. We would be more than happy to help you and recommend you."

I look forward to combining all the skills I have learned into a big venture..or adventure depending on how you look at it. I can't wait till I have my degree and am able to do everything in my own office..with my own lab..dispensary...and my own tail on the line. I can set the hours I want, so I can be with my family. I can carry the brands I want to carry, and make money while doing it. Most importantly I can be both a business person, and a helper to society at the same time, while having time for a family. Sounds great to me!

Anyway...there is my take and my life's story too...all rolled into one :)

Cassandra

Although this question is for the ladies.... It's nice to know for maleies!!! :D

I was not aware of the discrepencies(sp?) between the sexes in the profession of optometry.... Thanks for the insight.... Glad it's changing in a positive way.... :cool:

Hey, thanks for the responses! I guess women don't enter optometry for any different reasons than men? :cool:

Im happy to hear that you are all following your dreams! :D

now, i must think of a new topic because I am pretty bored at work today..........hmmmmmmmm ;)

abs1 said:
There is clearly a recent upward trend in the number of female applicants and acceptances into optomerty schools. There are still more men practicing optometry today, but there are more females in the schools. As a male about to enter, I'd like to ask cpw and Cassandra what it is about optometry that attracts so many women? Just curious....and thought we needed a new topic. Let me know what you think?! :D :D :D

although you were asking the ladies - i just thought i'd give my opinion on why i think that is.... i believe it has to do with the ideal of a family life, since becoming an MD takes away from alot of that (ie. more stress,etc, or being on call)

abs1 said:

In my medical school class, I would say about 75% of the student body was female. Interestingly, there were more non-traditional aged women than there were men. In my law school class, maybe 70% of the class were females. Things are changing! :)

drbizzaro said:
although you were asking the ladies - i just thought i'd give my opinion on why i think that is.... i believe it has to do with the ideal of a family life, since becoming an MD takes away from alot of that (ie. more stress,etc, or being on call)

Jubileee said:
Most importantly I can be both a business person, and a helper to society at the same time, while having time for a family.

These two points hit the nail on the head, for me at least. A huge plus for optometry is that it's a health-related field where you can build your own practice (be an entrepeneur) and somewhat set your own schedule. This is getting increasingly important to me as I get older and start thinking about starting a family.