Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

question for those already in dental school

Discussion in 'Dental' started by ndb, May 2, 2007.

1. ndb

ndb

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I will be a post-bacc student when I start taking the prerequisites in the fall, and I was wondering how true is it that taking classes at the community college level will not allow someone to get into dental school?

I would like to take BIO II, Chem I & II, and PHYS I & II at a community college for financial reasons, but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum took prerequisites at a community college? Would I be wasting my time taking those classes at a community college?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

There seems to be a stigma assigned to community colleges, and some dental schools declare in their statements to applicants that they either don't accept them or frown upon them. However, I have heard to people taking some courses at CC's and the issue never being raised in interviews and said individuals did get in, but those cases were usually when the applicant took a pre-req class or took the first two years of their degree at a CC and then transferred to a four year institution. You're probably going to get a spectrum of opinions in this forum on this topic; regardless, the best thing to do is to directly contact the schools are interested in and get clarification from their admissions department, especially since you're looking to take a good chunk of your pre-reqs at a CC.

4. jmjfb23

Dental Student
    I would say to not take those classes at a community college, maybe if you took one it would not be that big of a deal, but thats a lot of classes and would compose the majority of your science GPA. Those are usually the classes that weed people out in undergrad and strengthen your application if you do well. I guess you could take them at a community college if the rest of your application is great, you don't need too much help with GPA or science GPA, and of course if the school's you are applying to allow it. I'm sure people have went this route before and been accepted, but if you do take these classes get A's in them and don't expect it to help your application at all.

5. Gulch

Dental Student
    I agree with sprgrover. Go straight to the source. Call/email the schools directly that you're interested in to get their position on CC. Not all adcoms view CC the same. Anything else you get on this forum will be a good rule of thumb or personal opinion.

6. browneyes4

well i know that at Tufts in Boston, they don't accept community college classes (that's what was typed out in one of our letters when i was accepted there). so that's a big warning sign right there.

have you thought about taking them at a state college?

7. Ex_EE

Dental Student
    I took most of my pre-reqs as a post bac at a community college. I got in with no problem, and was never asked about the community college.

8. itsall3324453!

Pre-Dental
    I took all my prereqs at a CC and I got into three schools. I would advise not getting anything below an A. I was never asked about it, and one of the schools was out of state. If that is what you can do then go for it. I work full time and it was my only option, and I was able to pay cash for all.

9. ndb

ndb

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I would assume if I do very well in my upper-level science classes at a university, it would show that taking the general science classes at a community college is not a problem. I think its kind of ridiculous that applicants can get penalized for going to a community college. But maybe its just me.