1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question for those scoring 38 and above on the MCATs....

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by notabiobot, Mar 20, 2004.

1. notabiobot

notabiobot Member
    7+ Year Member

i was just wondering whether you made vast improvements on your diags or did you just start off in the mid to high 30s? thanks in advance!

2. dan0909

dan0909 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

actually, i dont think theyre all that uncommon...

but who knows how much ppl inflate their scores on SDN..

3. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The difference between a 35 and a 38 probably isn't more than a few questions each section. When you're scoring that high, there is a bit of luck involved as far as the types of passages you get. In other words, I wouldn't walk in assured of scoring a 38 or better because you scored 35-38 on a few aamcas practice tests...but it should be around there +/- a few points depending on the types of questions you get. When I was practicing excessively for last summer's mcat, I would usually get 33-34 on my kaplan and aamc tests, but on the real thing, I got lucky and wound up scoring a few points higher because I didn't get much ochem and a lot of physiology. Perhaps others will chime in, although I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.

4. R_C_Hutchinson

R_C_Hutchinson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, the higher you score the more variation in your scores (unless they're really really low- then you see variation too). mid range (20's) have the most reproducable, and improvable, scores

5. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I scored a 39 when I took the test 7 years ago and I remember scoring something in the mid twenties when I first started taking the practice tests.

I agree that the difference between 35-38 is probably only a few questions, but my score was the product of luck -- my test had "easy" passages (for me) that didn't include a lot of o-chem and a lot of physics.

Now I only wish that luck had carried on through medical school :)

6. kikkoman

kikkoman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i think you definitely reach a plateau once you do a thorough review of your physics/bio. before that, however, i think a low score isnt really indicative of much.

my progress on practice went something like this:

1st - 30
    2nd - 32 (three weeks into TPR, good amount of studying, but not too much)
    and then i studied my ass off and really pounded in the bio/physics
    3rd- 37
    4th - 39 (a couple of days apart)
    etc. etc.

i think the verbal is REALLY hard to bring up, but you can always improve a lot on the bio/physics, even if there are only a few weeks left before the test.

hope that helps--