notabiobot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
i was just wondering whether you made vast improvements on your diags or did you just start off in the mid to high 30s? thanks in advance!

dan0909

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
actually, i dont think theyre all that uncommon...

but who knows how much ppl inflate their scores on SDN..

MrTee

15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
The difference between a 35 and a 38 probably isn't more than a few questions each section. When you're scoring that high, there is a bit of luck involved as far as the types of passages you get. In other words, I wouldn't walk in assured of scoring a 38 or better because you scored 35-38 on a few aamcas practice tests...but it should be around there +/- a few points depending on the types of questions you get. When I was practicing excessively for last summer's mcat, I would usually get 33-34 on my kaplan and aamc tests, but on the real thing, I got lucky and wound up scoring a few points higher because I didn't get much ochem and a lot of physiology. Perhaps others will chime in, although I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.

About the Ads

R_C_Hutchinson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by MrTee
The difference between a 35 and a 38 probably isn't more than a few questions each section. When you're scoring that high, there is a bit of luck involved as far as the types of passages you get. In other words, I wouldn't walk in assured of scoring a 38 or better because you scored 35-38 on a few aamcas practice tests...but it should be around there +/- a few points depending on the types of questions you get. When I was practicing excessively for last summer's mcat, I would usually get 33-34 on my kaplan and aamc tests, but on the real thing, I got lucky and wound up scoring a few points higher because I didn't get much ochem and a lot of physiology. Perhaps others will chime in, although I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.
yeah, the higher you score the more variation in your scores (unless they're really really low- then you see variation too). mid range (20's) have the most reproducable, and improvable, scores

mcwmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2001
Status
I scored a 39 when I took the test 7 years ago and I remember scoring something in the mid twenties when I first started taking the practice tests.

I agree that the difference between 35-38 is probably only a few questions, but my score was the product of luck -- my test had "easy" passages (for me) that didn't include a lot of o-chem and a lot of physics.

Now I only wish that luck had carried on through medical school :)

kikkoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
Visit site
Status
i think you definitely reach a plateau once you do a thorough review of your physics/bio. before that, however, i think a low score isnt really indicative of much.

my progress on practice went something like this:

1st - 30
2nd - 32 (three weeks into TPR, good amount of studying, but not too much)
and then i studied my ass off and really pounded in the bio/physics
3rd- 37
4th - 39 (a couple of days apart)
etc. etc.

i think the verbal is REALLY hard to bring up, but you can always improve a lot on the bio/physics, even if there are only a few weeks left before the test.

hope that helps--

About the Ads