• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

notabiobot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Status (Visible)
i was just wondering whether you made vast improvements on your diags or did you just start off in the mid to high 30s? thanks in advance!

dan0909

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Status (Visible)
actually, i dont think theyre all that uncommon...

but who knows how much ppl inflate their scores on SDN..

MrTee

15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
The difference between a 35 and a 38 probably isn't more than a few questions each section. When you're scoring that high, there is a bit of luck involved as far as the types of passages you get. In other words, I wouldn't walk in assured of scoring a 38 or better because you scored 35-38 on a few aamcas practice tests...but it should be around there +/- a few points depending on the types of questions you get. When I was practicing excessively for last summer's mcat, I would usually get 33-34 on my kaplan and aamc tests, but on the real thing, I got lucky and wound up scoring a few points higher because I didn't get much ochem and a lot of physiology. Perhaps others will chime in, although I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.

R_C_Hutchinson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by MrTee
The difference between a 35 and a 38 probably isn't more than a few questions each section. When you're scoring that high, there is a bit of luck involved as far as the types of passages you get. In other words, I wouldn't walk in assured of scoring a 38 or better because you scored 35-38 on a few aamcas practice tests...but it should be around there +/- a few points depending on the types of questions you get. When I was practicing excessively for last summer's mcat, I would usually get 33-34 on my kaplan and aamc tests, but on the real thing, I got lucky and wound up scoring a few points higher because I didn't get much ochem and a lot of physiology. Perhaps others will chime in, although I have a feeling you'll get a wide range of answers.

yeah, the higher you score the more variation in your scores (unless they're really really low- then you see variation too). mid range (20's) have the most reproducable, and improvable, scores

About the Ads

mcwmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2001
Status (Visible)
I scored a 39 when I took the test 7 years ago and I remember scoring something in the mid twenties when I first started taking the practice tests.

I agree that the difference between 35-38 is probably only a few questions, but my score was the product of luck -- my test had "easy" passages (for me) that didn't include a lot of o-chem and a lot of physics.

Now I only wish that luck had carried on through medical school :)

kikkoman

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
i think you definitely reach a plateau once you do a thorough review of your physics/bio. before that, however, i think a low score isnt really indicative of much.

my progress on practice went something like this:

1st - 30
2nd - 32 (three weeks into TPR, good amount of studying, but not too much)
and then i studied my ass off and really pounded in the bio/physics
3rd- 37
4th - 39 (a couple of days apart)
etc. etc.

i think the verbal is REALLY hard to bring up, but you can always improve a lot on the bio/physics, even if there are only a few weeks left before the test.

hope that helps--

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.