All Branch Topic (ABT) Question for those who did WRNMMC TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the TY handbook, I read this:

"8. Outside rotations (e.g. AFIP) are designated as electives. There must be a complete description of the experience to include written curriculum objectives, resident responsibilities, and the name of the faculty assigned for supervision and evaluation."

I was curious if anyone could provide some insight as to what is available for outside rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a one month research elective at AFIP with an individual who was also a USUHS professor. I don't recall having to provide any detailed information to my program director about the month except for a brief description of my project. I was told that my research month had to be productive (meaning I needed to submit or be close to submitting my papers), and my mentor had to fill out an eval.

Don't know what other outside electives are available, though. I did do an extra elective ER rotation at Fairfax, but the objectives were already written. Ask the TY program directors...PM me if you need contact info.

What is your projected specialty? There is not a master list of approved outside electives. When I was there a few years ago, all of the TYs did Emergency Medicine at Inova Fairfax, and the Navy interns did Sports Med at Annapolis. Other than that, pretty much everything was in-house.