Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I had a question for those people who are from NYC or know NY areas pretty well. I have interviews at the following 4 programs and am trying to figure out for which of them I can possibly drive. I know driving in NY can be tricky and I don't know the city that well at all (I do have a GPS though). I am driving from Central Pennsylvania by the way.

1- Maimonides Medical Center: This interview is scheduled for 1 pm. I looked up directions online and it is supposed to take 3 hrs and 15 mins from where I live to get to the hospital. I know Brooklyn is very crowded, but I was thinking if I leave my place at 7 am or so on the same day I will most likely get there on time. What do you guys think?

2- Winthrop University Hospital; 3- Staten Island University Hospital; 4- Nassau University. All of these interviews are for early morning so I have to get there the night before. It seems that I can drive to all of these locations pretty easily though. What do you guys think? Are the locations of these programs relatively drivable?

I have heard driving in Manhattan is def. the hardest, but I wasn't really sure about the other NY places. (You can tell I don't travel much, but then again, I have been in med school :oops:)
Thanks...

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I had a question for those people who are from NYC or know NY areas pretty well. I have interviews at the following 4 programs and am trying to figure out for which of them I can possibly drive. I know driving in NY can be tricky and I don't know the city that well at all (I do have a GPS though). I am driving from Central Pennsylvania by the way.

1- Maimonides Medical Center: This interview is scheduled for 1 pm. I looked up directions online and it is supposed to take 3 hrs and 15 mins from where I live to get to the hospital. I know Brooklyn is very crowded, but I was thinking if I leave my place at 7 am or so on the same day I will most likely get there on time. What do you guys think?

2- Winthrop University Hospital; 3- Staten Island University Hospital; 4- Nassau University. All of these interviews are for early morning so I have to get there the night before. It seems that I can drive to all of these locations pretty easily though. What do you guys think? Are the locations of these programs relatively drivable?

I have heard driving in Manhattan is def. the hardest, but I wasn't really sure about the other NY places. (You can tell I don't travel much, but then again, I have been in med school :oops:)
Thanks...
Its really not that hard to drive in NYC if you've driven in any other big city. You probably heard that it is the "hardest" from people who live there since many people don't even have cars or drivers licenses. Whats going to be hard is paying $8 to cross a bridge and $30 to park in a ramp someplace haha

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
Just a word of warning, my GPS often has some problems in NYC, I'm not sure if it's because the roads are all so close together or because of the tall buildings but it sometimes gets confused and tells me to do the wrong thing. I'd have a printed list of directions as well, so you're not blindly relying on your GPS to get you there.

Eilat87

Spine Fellow
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
the empire stizzay!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes to all four. They're all drivable. Brooklyn isn't as bad as you think in terms of driving. Then again I'm from here. I live about.. 10-20 blocks away from Maimonides, and I can tell you that you can definitely find parking around there. Just be aware of "street cleaning". Look at signs. Here's a link for days where street cleaning is suspended.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/scrintro.shtml

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks...
You'll be fine. Parking around Maimo sucks but it's not far off the BQE and it's not much different than driving around any other "downtown" area. The others are all out in the burbs (yes, even SIUH) so will just be like driving around Central PA. Except, since you'll be dealing with NY drivers, not PA drivers, the people around you will at least have a vague idea of how to operate a motor vehicle.

Isles7

7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I live near both NUMC and Winthrop...both are very easy to find and have plenty of parking, so you shouldn't have a problem. Best of luck!

OP
F

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you guys very much! Very helpful...I certainly hope my GPS will work in NYC. It has been so helpful so far and I don't need to think when I am trying to find the interview locations... I also found out that I will be interviewing at SUNY Downstate but I am assuming the same rule applies in terms of driving to their hospital.

I am def. getting tired of all the driving and the stress of the interview process but it is only a few more months and then Match day! (Hopefully the Match will turn out great for all of us)

Hope everybody is going to have an awesome weekend!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you guys very much! Very helpful...I certainly hope my GPS will work in NYC. It has been so helpful so far and I don't need to think when I am trying to find the interview locations... I also found out that I will be interviewing at SUNY Downstate but I am assuming the same rule applies in terms of driving to their hospital.
Downstate is harder to get to (tell your GPS you want to go to Kings County Hospital, it's across the street and more likely to be on their map) but you should be able to park relatively easily...make sure you ask about a parking permit though and if you don't get one and have to park on the street, watch out for alternate-side parking rules.

OP
F

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks gutonc, I am a little hesitant to park on the street in NYC or any other big city for that matter. First of all, street spots are so hard to find and then I might get fined, or even worse, my car might get hit.

It seems that NUMC, SIUH and Winthrop are all in the suburbs and I can easily park around them.

Actually for Downstate, their email did mention that I should try to find the Kings County Hospital. I don't think parking there should be an issue.

Thanks..:)

Last edited:

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Since this is a bunch of New Yorkers, maybe you guys can help me. How feasible would it be for a couple to match, say one at NY Presbyterian (upper west side?) and another on Long Island-Winthrop area. Is this a doable commute, would we have to live somewhere halfway between to do it, etc.? If not, how about Bellevue as the Manhattan location? Thanks.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Since this is a bunch of New Yorkers, maybe you guys can help me. How feasible would it be for a couple to match, say one at NY Presbyterian (upper west side?) and another on Long Island-Winthrop area. Is this a doable commute, would we have to live somewhere halfway between to do it, etc.? If not, how about Bellevue as the Manhattan location? Thanks.
It is certainly possible and people do it. Either live @ Columbia and have the LI person reverse commute or live halfway between and count on the fact that the subway/bus/highway isn't that busy at 5am.

quietude

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Both options are very easy. Depends on which program has the rougher hours.

Winthrop is particularly easy to get to by public transportation as the Long Island Railroad departs from Penn Station (34th street on the west side) and the nearest station is on the hospital campus. It's about 30 minutes and runs fairly regularly. Might be tight if one resident is doing surgery. Driving takes the same amount of time.

From Columbia-NYP public transportation probably wins (subway + train), and from Cornell-NYP driving probably wins. In both cases living downtown would be easier but both campuses offer subsidized housing that you likely will want to use instead.

Bellevue and Winthrop are the "closest" pairing but we are talking about 5-10 minutes closer. If you really wanted to live halfway you would live in Queens or Long Island, where housing is cheaper but you don't get the shiny Manhattan experience. NYU does not offer subsidized housing and in general, that part of town is more expensive to live in.

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Both options are very easy. Depends on which program has the rougher hours.

Winthrop is particularly easy to get to by public transportation as the Long Island Railroad departs from Penn Station (34th street on the west side) and the nearest station is on the hospital campus. It's about 30 minutes and runs fairly regularly. Might be tight if one resident is doing surgery. Driving takes the same amount of time.

From Columbia-NYP public transportation probably wins (subway + train), and from Cornell-NYP driving probably wins. In both cases living downtown would be easier but both campuses offer subsidized housing that you likely will want to use instead.

Bellevue and Winthrop are the "closest" pairing but we are talking about 5-10 minutes closer. If you really wanted to live halfway you would live in Queens or Long Island, where housing is cheaper but you don't get the shiny Manhattan experience. NYU does not offer subsidized housing and in general, that part of town is more expensive to live in.
Great info! Follow-up for travel - what is the best airport for access to the Winthrop area, and how would one get there from the airport?

Thanks so much.

quietude

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Great info! Follow-up for travel - what is the best airport for access to the Winthrop area, and how would one get there from the airport?

Thanks so much.
Not very familiar with Long Island, but Laguardia and JFK look to be about equidistant from Winthrop. You may be able to get a cheaper flight to Islip (Southwest flies there if you are near a hub) but it'll be a more expensive cab ride. The Winthrop coordinators have all been very nice and I'm sure would be happy to tell you how much a cab/subway etc would run from each.

In general, Laguardia tends to do more domestic and JFK more international, but JFK is close to a subway line so you might have more transportation options. Getting a cab at either will be easy.

If you are flying in the night before and staying in the city, the best option is the LIRR from Penn Station. About $10 RT and drops off directly at the hospital.

Samoa

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2002
This may be a silly question, but are you guys at all concerned about the bedbug infestation that was all over the news last summer?

Maybe I just am reading too much tabloid-ish garbage, but it sounds like it's affecting good and bad hotels alike. Any thoughts or advice? Or is it just typical of how the news media sensationalizes everything, and not worth worrying about?

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Eh, moderately. I have been checking every hotel and haven't found any so far. If you search for bed bug registry or check on trip advisor that can also help.