Question for those who took the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start preparing for DAT and just freaking out.
I've seen people say that bio section is so broad

In ADA these are the subjects that they technically cover in the actual DAT.
" Cell and Molecular Biology - origin of life, cell metabolism (including photosynthesis/ enzymology, cellular processes, thermodynamics, organelle structure and function, mitosis/meiosis, cell structure, and experimental cell biology

Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (Six-Kingdom, Three-Domain System) – plantae, animalia, protista, fungi, eubacteria (bacteria), archae,
etc.

Structure and Function of Systems - integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, immunological, digestive, respiratory, urinary, nervous/senses, endocrine, reproductive,
etc.

Developmental Biology - fertilization, descriptive embryology, developmental mechanisms, and experimental embryology

Genetics - molecular genetics, human genetics, classical genetics, chromosomal genetics, and genetic technology

Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior - natural selection, population genetics/speciation, cladistics, population and community ecology, ecosystems, and animal behavior
(including social behavior). "

Was there any other bio questions besides these mentioned subjects?

My second question is why people don't use college textbooks as major source of studying? Would that be overstudying?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think we can discuss specific questions on the test, but more than likely there will be a couple questions that might seem they came out of nowhere. However, I would recommend using the kaplan blue book, cliff's AP bio and if you really want to, use campbell's textbook which I think is a good resource to use especially if you are unclear on a certain subject. I wouldn't stress over bio too much though because it will decrease the amount of time you spend studying for the other science sections which in my opinion are easier to get higher scores in. Good luck!

Bio was my highest score (24). I found the best way to study for it was to *TONS* of practice-tests, and make flash-cards of the bio questions I got wrong or guessed on. Then, if I was still confused, I'd reference my Bio textbook and learn more. I didn't bother reading the Bio part of Kaplan; I just dove right into the practice questions.

Bio was my highest score (24). I found the best way to study for it was to *TONS* of practice-tests, and make flash-cards of the bio questions I got wrong or guessed on. Then, if I was still confused, I'd reference my Bio textbook and learn more. I didn't bother reading the Bio part of Kaplan; I just dove right into the practice questions.

are you talking about the online kaplan tests? I hear theyr awesome