Question for UCLA Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tracy34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that on course rosters is says CLASSIFICATION and then UJR, USR, et al according to the number of units you have taken. For example, you can really have only been at UCLA for two years since you graduated from high school but be classified as "USR" because you took 4 classes each summer session and attended CC credits during high school which transfered.
In a case like the one stated above, is there any way a professor could know that you're really only in your second year?

Members don't see this ad.

you took 4 classes every summer session? you're crazy....:)

i think asking someone in murphy hall should be your best shot, or maybe simply tell the professors.

i don't think they can know b/c, if i'm right, your classification is based purely on number of units

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I kinda wish that was the case! I actually started at a community college and then transfered to UCBerkeley, then had to transfer back home to UCLA. I got an A- in a course and I went to the professor and he agreed to change it to an A. He asked me if I was a sophomore or a junior (I'm 21 but look 18 or 19) and I said I was a junior----which I am if you count up my time in school minus time taken off. Maybe I wasn't clear about my status. But I never saw anything change on my.ucla or ursa.
But it says "USR" on my status. I did start college 4 years ago.
I'm worried that he might think I was lying which I wasn't and maybe that's why he didn't change my grade.
I know I might sound fickle about changing the grade but I'm in dire straights and i really need it

Contact your professor maybe?

Well, I kinda wish that was the case! I actually started at a community college and then transfered to UCBerkeley, then had to transfer back home to UCLA. I got an A- in a course and I went to the professor and he agreed to change it to an A. He asked me if I was a sophomore or a junior (I'm 21 but look 18 or 19) and I said I was a junior----which I am if you count up my time in school minus time taken off. Maybe I wasn't clear about my status. But I never saw anything change on my.ucla or ursa.
But it says "USR" on my status. I did start college 4 years ago.
I'm worried that he might think I was lying which I wasn't and maybe that's why he didn't change my grade.
I know I might sound fickle about changing the grade but I'm in dire straights and i really need it

Sounds like you were lying, not that it matters much.
I don't know teachers to hold a grudge over something so small, let alone remember it clearly.
He's either being lazy, didn't realize how difficult it would be to change a grade after the end of the course, or the administration is taking a while to register the change.