Question for UNC undergrads or those who know about UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know to what degree grade inflation exists at UNC? How "hard" in general UGrad science classes are compared to Duke's or other good schools? Any thoughts on the academics? (I know chapel hill rocks!)

Thanks,
JH

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I went to UNC undergrad and am now in med school here.

I would say that there is no grade inflation whatsoever for the undergrad science classes. (I was a science major, and I took a lot of science classes... the vast majority of them had a bell curve distribution for grades) - there's no grade inflation in the math or introductory level physics as well...

now I really can't compare it to schools like Duke because I didn't go there... but I can tell you that you have to put in some effort if you want to walk away with an "A" in your science classes at UNC... hope I answered your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
heelshmeel said:
Hmm... I went to UNC undergrad and am now in med school here.

I would say that there is no grade inflation whatsoever for the undergrad science classes. (I was a science major, and I took a lot of science classes... the vast majority of them had a bell curve distribution for grades) - there's no grade inflation in the math or introductory level physics as well...

now I really can't compare it to schools like Duke because I didn't go there... but I can tell you that you have to put in some effort if you want to walk away with an "A" in your science classes at UNC... hope I answered your question.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Thanks for the post. Any more comments.

I think UNC would compare nearly exactly with competition at UVA ... what say you?

JH

Same thing at UMCP. For sciences you have a bell curve... although some professors curve so that 60% gets an A or B (that's in chem I), and some have strict cuts offs set the first week of class (900+ A, 800+ B, opleetc.).

I'd say that the majority of schools aren't just going to give favorable grades.

But I mean, who would have ever thought you had to work for a good grade? :wow: :wow:

-Liz

It is a common practice at Duke that if you want an A in an intro math or science course you should wait till the summer and take it at UNC or NC state. The distribution of grades might be the same, but the student body is not.

With that being said you should take all your courses at UNC.

Peterock said:
It is a common practice at Duke that if you want an A in an intro math or science course you should wait till the summer and take it at UNC or NC state. The distribution of grades might be the same, but the student body is not.

With that being said you should take all your courses at UNC.

This is actually accurate and sound advice. Take care.

physics I at duke: B+
physics II at NCSU: A+

cell bio duke b-
cellular physiology NCCU: A+

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?