Question for University at Buffalo Pharmacy Students - Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bklyngirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to UB for 2009 entry, but am unsure as to whether or not I will meet the prerequisite requirements.
Although I have both Calculus I & II completed, I only have completed one semester of Physics, which was a general physics class. It states on the UB website that certain courses, such as Physics II, are waived for someone entering with a bachelors degree. I will have 120 credits completed before 2009 semester, but without the bachelors, as I've been jumping around for the past two years and haven't declared or focused on a particular major.
Would you know if UB waives Physics II for someone who earned 120 credits, but lacks the bachelors degree?
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking very specific admissions questions- ones that should be directed to Dr. Jennifer Hess [email protected]

Now, my answers:

They most likely will not waive physics II for you since you don't have a degree. I can't see how having many credits but no degree puts you in any better shape for a waiver. I could be wrong.

I would contact Jennifer Hess with any specific questions about pharmacy admissions.

As far as your degree is concerned, how far away are you from one? What would it be in?

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

-Brian

You're asking very specific admissions questions- ones that should be directed to Dr. Jennifer Hess [email protected]

Now, my answers:

They most likely will not waive physics II for you since you don't have a degree. I can't see how having many credits but no degree puts you in any better shape for a waiver. I could be wrong.

I would contact Jennifer Hess with any specific questions about pharmacy admissions.

As far as your degree is concerned, how far away are you from one? What would it be in?

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

-Brian

Thanks so much for the contact info. This is just what I need to get an accurate answer.
I hope you're wrong, but I have a gut feeling that you're not. I was hoping that they would consider the waiver being that I will have comparable credits to a bachelor's degree, but did not focus enough in one area of study to be granted the degree. The college I attend requires numerous core classes needed to attain degree, and being that I transferred into the school as a sophomore, I had a lot of catching up to do with cores. Also, trying to complete prerequisites for six pharm schools (all having differences in requirements) has kept me from focusing on a major. Hopefully, this is not a mistake as my main goal right now is to get accepted into a school, preferably in New York, and focus on my number 1 goal of getting a pharmD degree.
Physics I and II at my school are killer classes (geared toward the physics major - 5 credit, 7 hrs. each.) I completed the general physics class (3 credits, 4 hrs.), which is a core class, but does not allow you entry into Physics II. This leaves me 1 physics class shy of meeting UB's requirement!:(

Anyway, thanks again for help!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to have all of the prereqs completed before you apply. You just need them done by the fall you start- so if you have an intention to take it (either that spring or the summer) you can still apply and be admitted. Are there easier physics classes at a different school close to you? Maybe take it next summer at a community college?

You don't need to have all of the prereqs completed before you apply. You just need them done by the fall you start- so if you have an intention to take it (either that spring or the summer) you can still apply and be admitted. Are there easier physics classes at a different school close to you? Maybe take it next summer at a community college?

Thanks for your help AGAIN! I thought I needed science prerequisites completed by this spring 09 - wasn't aware they could be completed during summer prior to enrollment. I'd be more than willing to spend my whole summer engrossed in physics courses if it resulted in a seat into UB's
pharm class. Will add UB to application list right away!!!:oops: