SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question for UT Houston and UTMB Students

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Ghost, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San Antonio
    i am a student at san antonio. we got an email today advertising the What You Need To Know (WYNTK) Step I review course. for those of you who have taken the course, what did you think? were you happy you took it or would you have been better off on your own? for those of you who haven't taken it, what have you heard about it? recommended or no? any info appreciated, thanks. :thumbup:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. getunconcsious

getunconcsious Very tired PGY1 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Cloud 8
    Haven't taken it (yet) but will in May. Many if not most of the current MS3's took it here and haven't heard anything other than "Definitely take it, it's very worthwhile" No one seems to have regretted it. I know you were asking for responses from people who've done it, but seeing as you weren't getting any, I hope this helps! In any case good luck on step 1! I'm sure we'll all need it :oops:

4. Ghost

Feb 6, 2004
    San Antonio
    i'm looking for any info at all, so thanks for responding. word of mouth is def important.......just want to see what kind of rep it has at your schools. thanks again.

5. Ghost

Feb 6, 2004
    San Antonio
    hey,

do most people take it because your school does not offer its own review course, or do they take it instead or in addition to the course offered at your school? thanks!

6. getunconcsious

getunconcsious Very tired PGY1 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Cloud 8
    We do not have an "official" school review course. However, being as we are in Houston we obviously have access to most resources that exist for Step 1 (i.e. Kaplan and Princeton Review courses, among others.) Given the options, most everyone opts for the WYNTK course b/c it has a great reputation. Again, I don't know for sure, but personally I'm hoping the guy is a miracle worker lol.

7. Ghost

Feb 6, 2004
    San Antonio
    yeah, some water to wine action is exactly what i need. thanks for the response.

8. UT_mikie

UT_mikie Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    One thing, the review course begins in early May, and he says that in order for the course to be worthwhile you have to get through the First Aid at least once before the course starts.

Basically at our school the things you consistently hear are QBank and WYNTK.

9. rohernan

rohernan

Aug 22, 2008
    Hi, and ppl at your Med School do as well as Dr. Jenkins says in his promo video? If yes you think it is because of the course or because of your school. Thanx!

10. rohernan

rohernan

Aug 22, 2008
    hey thanks for your reply. Good luck to you too!

11. ms_taken

ms_taken 5+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Texas
    anyone else who would like to share their opinions?

12. obiwan

obiwan Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Texas
    I may be in the minority for this but I did not like his class at all. I think his course is good for getting students into the score range of 220-230 but I don't think it really benefits those above that. He basically just reads from first aid which I just didn't find very helpful.

13. BlondeCookie

BlondeCookie Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2005

A lot of people would kill for a 220-230! :)

14. TexasPhysician

TexasPhysician Moderator Physician 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2008

Be aware that he DOES basically read FA to you. He often adds a couple comments to each page. If you memorize FA, FA can easily put you in the 220-230 area.

I thought the class was ok. It is relatively cheap compared to other review courses and much less intense (compared to what I've heard of other courses).

I would use the course as an oral review near the end of your studying so that you hear everything from FA again.......if you decide to do it at all.

I don't think I really learned anything new from the course, but it helped me to sit-back and hear the information for another 4 hours/day. Solidified things