Question for Vet Students in Australia and/or New Zealand - Especially equine!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diabloo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am going to be in Australia this summer and I am willing to extend my trip a little longer if I can try to make it less vacation time and do something slightly vet school related :)

In the states, almost every equine clinic has "externships" where you are a visiting student for 1-2 weeks usually. Often the larger clinics will provide housing. Student involvement varies, but typically you shadow during the day and assist interns with treatments at night, etc.

I am wondering if this is something that is every done in Australia and/or New Zealand. If so, does anyone know of any specific hospitals that have this sort of program? I am thinking that I may be able to set up visiting if I simply email, but thought I would check first. It is not out of the question that I would consider doing an internship abroad so I'd love to get a feel for what working at a clinic is like in these countries. I have not purchased flights yet, so really my options are very open - although I would prefer something near a major airport to simplify my transportation (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane for Australia)!

I will be a 3rd year this fall, tracking Equine. I am particularly interested in performance/sport horse medicine and surgery. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear! Feel free to write here or PM - I think I know how to get those...

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine did an externship and is now doing an internship at Randwick Equine Center near Sydney. Their website is http://www.randwickequine.com.au/ - they also have a listing on the AAEP Avenues website if you are a member.