Question for Wayne Staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedi4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm trying to figure out what the (non-campus housing) lease terms are like around Wayne State, any help would be much appreciated. What I've found so far has indicated that most are 12 month leases rather than month to month, but I haven't been able to find out whether or not there is a standard "set penalty" if you back out of the lease early.

For example, I know in some places like DC where the market is hot, there is often a clause in the lease that if you back out early you pay this 'set penalty', say $500, and aren't liable for anything else.

So, if any of you in Detroit know anything about this, I'd really appreciate the help!! I'm hoping to get a place at Lafayette Towers or Lafayette Pavillion, so if anyone happens to live there and has their lease handy it'd be so great if you could tell me the details. :)

My problem is that I'm waitlisted at a school much closer to home... so if I end up getting in there once I've moved to WSU then I might leave, so I need to figure out ahead of time if I can break a lease without too much penalty. I've tried really hard to find a sublet for the month of August but have had no luck.

Anyway, I hope to hear from someone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man,

I'm going to Wayne also, actually, and i'm moving to detroit in a week. I think the answer to your question is, that it really depends on what type of housing situation you hook up with. I looked at Lafayette Towers and the Pavillion, pretty nice places I might add, and very close to school. Now I don't know for sure, but I think that they can set up a renting policy that is month to month. When I talked to the lady in the office over the phone, she told me that she didn't know how many vacancies there were going to be until the end of the month. She said that it changes quite a bit month to month. This leads me to believe that their policy then, must include leases that are easy to get out of. Another thing is, that they advertise themselves to be great corporate relocation spots. Thus, good for someone working in the city that might have to drop and leave at once.

Whatever happens, good luck, and oh yeah I almost forgot, the towers and the pavilion, heres a good tip, go and register at rent.com or homestore.com. Its free, and if you tell the pavilion or towers that you found them on rent.com, you get $100. Homestore provides a lot of good pictures of both places, and a general description of what to expect. And also, I think both places have a 1800 number that is toll free, that you can call from new york toll free to get more info. Again good luck, and I look forward to meeting you as a classmate at orientation next monday if you end up coming.

Alex
WSUSOM 2006

Hey Alex,

Thanks so much for all the great info! I've called both places too and got the same info that you did- that they don't know what units will be available until the end of the month. I get the impression that they don't want to tell you anything specific, they want you to come in. Kind of hard when you want to secure a place before you get there...

So, you looked at both Lafeyette Towers and Pavillion? I'd love to know what you thought of both places since I'm pretty sure I'm going to rent at one of them. Did you decide to rent a place there?

I've already been to rent.com and am all over that $100 :) I'll check out homestore.com to check out the pictures... thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem, glad that I could help.

I had my brother(lives in livonia) check out the towers for me, and he said it was much nicer than he thought. He said that the studios were decent size, not the smallest, not the biggest, but the views of the river or the city, depending on what side of the building your on are great. Bathrooms were nice, kitchens were very small, but, its expected with a studio. The rent rates are killer, they quoted me $483 at the towers, and this includes air, heat, sewer, trash, and gas I think. This only leaves phone really, which is nice. As far as the area goes, I'm guessing that since your from NYC, it won't be any adjustment. I've never been there, but I have lived in Detroit before. The city itself is junky, but as long as you use good judgement(i.e. don't go for late night walks), there isn't any problem living downtown.

As it turns out for me, I'm going to be living in a suburb of Detroit called Canton, its just past livonia. Its kind of a drive from there, but I am going to live with a friend that I did my undergrad with, so I can save some money on rent and utilities and stuff. I did look downtown though, and I really liked a few different places on homestore and rent.com. Particularly Lafayette, but also Sandhurst(which is in Roseville), and The Lofts at Rivertown. Its kind of expensive to live alone though, if I could have found a roomate in time, then I could have gone in with someone on a two bedroom at one of those places. Their like $800 total a month (so 400 a piece), much roomier, close to school, swimming pool, view, etc. Who knows, if my roomate situation somehow falls through, maybe I'll email you my phone number if your looking for a roomate. Otherwise, good luck to you, and if you need anything else, just let me know or post or something.

Alex

Have you got the orientation schedule? Also addison apartments will do month to month, just ask for Joel and tell him you are a medical student. The info is n the medical housing booklet.