question for westernU/comp students...ppl from other schools comments are welcome too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totoro723

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you guys have a relativly large class size....I was wondering if that's a good/bad thing? is it way competitive as oppose to other schools with smaller class sizes? also how are the staff/teachers there...are they very helpful/supportive...do they really try to help you to be succesful because I've heard that just last year about 15ppl dropped. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

totoro723 said:
I know that you guys have a relativly large class size....I was wondering if that's a good/bad thing?

We started with about 220 people in our class. I don't think this is good or bad because I rarely go to class. For the times I do, I don't see it making a difference academically because most people aren't asking questions in class so you can act as if you're the only one really and ask all you want. I think it's bad as far as meeting and getting close to your classmates because it's more like the left side of the classroom and the right side of the classroom. It's nothing to base your decision on though because you'll meet all sorts of great people.

is it way competitive as oppose to other schools with smaller class sizes?
From the schools I've compared it to, it is more competitive within the class. I keep in touch with a lot of students from other schools and this is a major difference I see.

also how are the staff/teachers there...are they very helpful/supportive...do they really try to help you to be succesful because I've heard that just last year about 15ppl dropped. thanks!

It's true that we lost about 15 (or more) people but that's out of 220+. So it's not too out of proportion. Of the few people I know, 2 went to M.D. schools, 1 wasn't really interested in school, 2 left for health reasons, a few had academic difficulties and I really don't know where the others went. So it's not because of the instructors that they left. Sure there are a few bad apples that don't seem to mind if you fail, but I'm sure they exist at all schools. If you ever have a question, most instructors have an open door policy or you can just email them any time of the day and they'll write back. It is a tough schedule but if you study, you will succeed.

The competitiveness of the classes seem to vary. My class was not very comptetitive at all; we shared info on a regular basis, and generally all want everyone to do well. I didn't feel like I was in a race with my classmates; the way I see it, we as a class are competing against other schools, so much against each other. that does change though, because the class ahead of me was a bit more competitive.