Question from a premed to married Yale med students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping a married student at Yale might be willing to trade emails with me on how they have found New Haven. I am 37 years old, recently married with a kiddo about 7 months out (fingers crossed). My wife works in the financial sector but has options to work in other fields including hospital admin.

My first choice ignoring all non-school factors is Yale.

Is it possible to live there as a married person with a child (we also have a gigantic dog)?

I know there is married student housing, is it a decent option? Is is possible to rent a house in a decent area near school? Are there decent areas near school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm hoping a married student at Yale might be willing to trade emails with me on how they have found New Haven. I am 37 years old, recently married with a kiddo about 7 months out (fingers crossed). My wife works in the financial sector but has options to work in other fields including hospital admin.

Is it possible to live there as a married person with a child (we also have a gigantic dog)?

I know there is married student housing, is it a decent option? Is is possible to rent a house in a decent area near school? Are there decent areas near school?

I'm not a MED student at Yale, but I went there as an undergrad, so I can give you some general answers to your questions.

1. Yes, you can certainly live in New Haven with a family, although the dog could be tricky in terms of finding a place to rent. One issue you should be aware of (depending on the age of your child): Yale has NO subsidized day care facilities on campus. This is a longstanding gripe with many grad students and junior faculty.

2. I've only seen the married student housing from the outside: looks like it was built in the early '70s. It's FAR from the med school (a couple of miles at least), in a so-so neighborhood. I don't know how the rent compares to local rents.

3. The immediate neighborhood of the med school is fairly dangerous, and you wouldn't want to live there. The main neighborhood for Yale grad student types is Orange Street (1-2 miles from the med school, to the northeast), which is a pretty, safe but somewhat pricey district of Victorian homes which are rented out as apartments (1 apt. per floor). You could probably get by without a car if you lived there. You could also live in a nearby suburb (Milford, West Haven, Westville, etc.) and drive in.

I am currently a Yale Graduate student living in their Graduate student housing. Yes they do have apartment for married couples with kids. No pets allowed. But you can talk to Betsy or Laura maybe they might make an exception for you guys. There are plenty of Yale professional students who reside in area near Yale university that are decent. There are plenty of that around here. They even have a day care center near the medical school in case you are interested. I am not sure what the minimum age is. The bottom line is you will love Yale New Haven. I am originally a New Yorker but New Haven grew on to me and I love it. Maybe you will too.

Good Luck with your studies here. Visit the Yale's website search housing that will help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there as a resident in the 80's and was married and had our 1st child while we were there (who is now applying this cycle, hence my prowling the pre allo boards). We lived off campus in a house in one of the towns east of New Haven. We found a half of a duplex overlooking an inlet off the Sound. Really quite spectacular. We found it through an add posted in the house staff office by folks looking to rent the place to reliable tenants. That would be a place to check since house staff are more likely to have your personal circumstances. Good luck

thanks all. this is very helpful stuff for me. particularly the suggestion to check out the house-staff adverts.