question from civilian doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ace11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 31-year old board-certified radiologist working in a comfortable private practice. I have no prior military experience but come from a military family and have lost several close friends to the 'war on terror.' I am single and a competitive triathlete. With everything that is going on in the world, I am interested in helping the men/women who make up the fighting forces of our country. I am thus considering joining the military and have a strong desire to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan in order to really make a difference. Ideally, I would like to serve with an army/marine corp unit as a GMO, or alternatively, to practice radiology in a field hospital. I am fairly flexible regarding length of committment. My questions are-

What is the best route to achieve this goal? Army, Navy, Reserves, National Guard? Who should I contact that would be helpful in answering my fairly unique questions? I have spoken to some recruiters but feel as if they are treating me as a high-school kid looking to enlist.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 31-year old board-certified radiologist working in a comfortable private practice. I have no prior military experience but come from a military family and have lost several close friends to the 'war on terror.' I am single and a competitive triathlete. With everything that is going on in the world, I am interested in helping the men/women who make up the fighting forces of our country. I am thus considering joining the military and have a strong desire to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan in order to really make a difference. Ideally, I would like to serve with an army/marine corp unit as a GMO, or alternatively, to practice radiology in a field hospital. I am fairly flexible regarding length of committment. My questions are-

What is the best route to achieve this goal? Army, Navy, Reserves, National Guard? Who should I contact that would be helpful in answering my fairly unique questions? I have spoken to some recruiters but feel as if they are treating me as a high-school kid looking to enlist.

This is a troll until proven otherwise.

Call the radiology department at either Bethesda Naval Hospital, NMC San Diego (AKA Balboa), Walter Reed Medical Center or the Army medical center at Ft. Sam Houston, TX. Tell them you are a radiologist and ask to speak with a radiologist who has a few minutes to talk with you. They will usually know the situations with their colleagues and can answer questions or give you contact names and email addresses.

Recruiters won't be able to answer your questions. I suggest you stop wasting time with them. (That is if you are legit).

Your acquired skills would be sadly wasted as a GMO. If you really want a commission, since you owe no payback debt, you have extraordinary leverage on assignment. I guarantee nobody will stand in your way to the sandbox. But remember, a commission is eight years, not two.

No wife or SO, huh? No house payment? No desire to establish yourself in practice? No school loan payments at age 31?

Serve the "men and women in uniform"? Sounds like recruiter "ad-speak". Truth is, you probably are serving best where you are, working at home and paying your taxes.

Being fit will not be an asset when you sign up....

There will be no shooting, running, or jumping for the radiologist....other than the semi-annual pt test(which is a joke).

A fully trained rad's skills will most likely be (mis)-utilized stateside at a major MTF.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are truly interested, contact your local medical officer programs recruiter. If you want to play in the field active Army or Navy would be your best bet.