1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

question from noobster

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lesstalkmorock, Mar 26, 2004.

1. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

?

#1 lesstalkmorock, Mar 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kikkoman

kikkoman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i think they kind of suck because:

1. they limit your undergraduate experience
    2. they tie you to a specific location for 7 years (i guess this applied to MD/PhD as well....)
    3. you are limited to going to that specific med school (in most cases at least)

i really believe that very few people can know in high school that medical school is the right thing for them, and having the well-rounded college experience can be invaluable for growth and maturation. plus, if you really decide that you like the premed curriculum and get excited about medicine, you can probably get into med school rather easily, and perhaps into a better program than you could through the 7 year.

just my .02 though, lots of people will disagree.

4. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

U.....R.....A.....tool.

5. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This has been discussed before, but I guess I'll throw my opinion in once again. I would recommend against any combined BS/MD program, but especially one of the accelerated ones (as opposed to just a guaranteed admission, 8-year program). Here are my thoughts:

BS/MD programs are exceptionally difficult to get in to. If you are a viable candidate for these programs, that means you are also a strong applicant for most undergraduate schools. Consider whether you would be jeopardizing the quality of your undergraduate experience just to get the guaranteed admission to a med school.

I turned down admission to BS/MD programs four years ago in order to go to Rice University (Rice/Baylor had been my top choice, but I did not get in). Now I am going through all the hell of the application process, but I can also say that I really gained a lot from my undergraduate experience. I am not sure I would have had the same opportunities at, say, USC or Case Western undergrad.

Also, as someone coming straight out of high school, it may seem like all med schools are created equal, or perhaps the highest ranked schools are the best. While I thought back then that Baylor was a better med school than USC, now I am thinking that USC might be a better school for me, even if it is ranked lower.

Taking a year off of your undergraduate education, which may sound nice if you are in a hurry to enter the workforce, wouldn't really have been that nice. Seriously, if you want to graduate in three years, you can do it without an "accelerated" program. But who really wants to? I didn't. That's one less year for you to explore academic topics outside of medicine, one less year for you hang out and party with your friends, and one less year for you to be involved in clubs and organizations that you just won't have time for in medical school. Take your time, make yourself a well-rounded individual. You'll still get into medical school, and I think you'll be a better doctor, too.

6. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I like you already. Welcome my friend... welcome.

7. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

k

#6 lesstalkmorock, Mar 26, 2004
  8. Spitting Camel

7+ Year Member

He's rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off of him and sticks on you!

uh oh... i guess that makes YOU the tool! :laugh:

The OP is funny!

9. Sharky

Sharky Shark
    7+ Year Member

You must realize that many of the people on SDN are republican and can still give you good advice. In a way it shows that you're prejudiced as you only want advice from Democrats or Independents.

YOU ARE A TOOL.:rolleyes:

10. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The republican thing was pretty immature.

To answer the question...

Why enter a 7 year program when you can do 4 years of undergrad in any major you want, just about any location you want, and meet lots of interesting people. A lot of people enter college saying that they are premed, predent, prelaw, etc. The majority of them change their minds. If you have your life planned out at 18 and decide that you must finish med school by the age of 25, then by all means go to the 7 year bs/md program. Otherwise, take it a little bit slower, meet people, expand your horizons, and make sure medicine is what you are going to want 20 years from now.

~AS1~

11. So, do sharks lean toward the right or the left?

12. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Agreed. And of course, it would be the immature ones who want to rush through the whole process before they are really ready...

13. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

I believe he requested that republicans not reply.

:p

14. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I do not consider myself a republican. I am a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. IF I vote, I try to remain conscious of the fact that it is for the lesser of two evils, not someone that should be idolized.

~AS1~

15. scrabbler

scrabbler too much sugar
    7+ Year Member

I found it presumptuous to ignore any advice from people rejected by 7-year programs. This sort of thing doesn't make people want to help you.

16. Sharky

Sharky Shark
    7+ Year Member

Much like humans, some sharks are democrats, some are republicans, and some are independents. This shark leans more to the right.

I do like your avatar though doctorkevin. Isn't that bjork?:horns:

17. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

k

#16 lesstalkmorock, Mar 26, 2004
  18. Spitting Camel

7+ Year Member

I think he was talking about something else leaning towards the right or left, right Dr. Kevin? :laugh:

edit: CRAP! I just watsted my 1000th post on this thread! Anways... YAY for me!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :love: :wow: :scared: :smuggrin: