Question from prior service, simultaneous HPSP/Post 9-11?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2XY1XX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an AF veteran with 100% post 9/11 GI bill. I separated in 2015 to get through the sciences and am now ready to apply this upcoming cycle. I am interested in applying for the AF HPSP and have been talking to the recruiter. My question is if I can use the months of my post 9/11 while on AF HPSP. I have been looking around and have not found any solid answers, at least not within the last 7-8 years. The recruiter said yes, but they have tricked me before... Anyway if any one has experience that would be great. Also, I am looking at USUHS as well. Any tips on a prior service guy applying there? GPA is ~3.5, a little low. Taking the MCAT in April, most recent practice test is 508. Hope to bring that up to 512ish in the next 6 weeks. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill in conjunction with HPSP would be an incredible waste of the GI Bill. HPSP already covers tuition, fees and gives you a living stipend. All you would get out of the GI Bill would be the BAH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your replies. I was hoping to use it to ease the financial strain during medical school. Currently my wife supports us while I work on getting accepted. It works well now because my schedule is more flexible and I can be with your kiddos (7,4,2), but when I am super busy with the load of medical school, I would like to take some of the pressure off of her.

I appreciate your replies. I was hoping to use it to ease the financial strain during medical school. Currently my wife supports us while I work on getting accepted. It works well now because my schedule is more flexible and I can be with your kiddos (7,4,2), but when I am super busy with the load of medical school, I would like to take some of the pressure off of her.

MS1, MS2, and MS4 aren't that bad. The value of the GI Bill to your kids in the future is a lot more than what you will get out of it for the one MS3 year that you will be really busy. Also, with prior service why not consider USUHS? The commitment is 3 years longer, but it all goes towards retirement for you and you'll likely be able to afford for you wife to stay at home with the kids and still not use the GI Bill.