Question! How does the PCAT compare to other tests you've taken?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by silverhalo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. silverhalo

silverhalo New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This is a bit of an odd question, but how do you guys think the PCAT compares to previous standardized tests you took, particularly the SAT? (Since the SAT also contains word analogies, reading, writing, and quantative analysis.)

I really want to hear from people who were either shocked with the similarities of the two exams, OR people who were shocked with how DIFFERENT the PCAT was from any exam they'd taken before.

You could even post what you got on the SAT and the PCAT, respectively--particularly if your percentile scores were very different or similar.

The thing is, I've *never* in my life taken a Standardized Test and felt like it actually tests you on your knowledge and hard work (other than AP exams and SAT IIs), and when I took my first PCAT practice exam today, it just felt like a pumped-up SAT with an added Bio and Chem section. I did well on the SAT, but I really dislike "aptitude" exams and I'd like to think that the PCAT is different...

So I'm wondering... are the people who got a 90+ composite on the PCAT just the same people who always did well on tests (like the SAT, for instance), or are there some people who got low test scores in High School but did well on the PCAT because they worked really hard?

I'd like to think that the latter is true, and I got in a heated argument with someone over this today. I kinda wanna prove them wrong. =P

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. evilolive

evilolive Member

Pharmacy Student
  4. TennisBoy78

TennisBoy78 Senior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Have hovered around a 3.8 in high school, college, forever. Not the smartest kid on the block, but pretty motivated to get things done.

I've scored a little above average on the ACT (SAT not required at my university), but I initially scored average on it (ACT). I think I scored a 20 and eventually got to a 25.

I took the PCAT for the first time in January and again in June. First time, I got a 47 composite percentile, with a high of 63 in verbal and a low of 25 in quantitative.

I changed some of my strategies for the June test (still waiting for results). I think I could have done marginally better in quantitative and chemistry, not sure on the others though.

What do I think of this test? It is an IQ test as much as it is a concept test. I made a lot of educated guesses at questions, but unlike the first time, I did not change my answers to some questions by overly obsessing about questions (I hope this helps me). Some questions are vague, so I don't know how to answer them. All in all, I think that the PCAT is not that bad of a test, but because it is standardized, there are always elements of "where did this question come from" and "how should I answer it."

Personally, I would love to hear of stories in which a person gained an average or subpar ACT/SAT score but a great PCAT score. If you are that person, tell us what you think, and how differently you approached the PCAT as opposed to the ACT/SAT. I'm sure there are some of you out there, but not many.

5. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Generally speaking - if you are an excellent test taker - this means you understand the value of each question, manage your time well, utilized what you already knew to your benefit, can eliminate off the wall answers quickly... then you will find no "IQ" portion on the PCAT. The test has more questions than you can complete at a normal pace. If you already know what to do in a time deficient situation, then its a non-issue for you.

As to how it relates to the SAT - I honestly dont remember the SAT all that well. Im pretty sure I felt the same way after both (like I just ran a mental marathon) - aside from that, it felt all right. I took the June PCAT - so I am waiting along with everyone else...

Are you signed up for the October PCAT???

~above~

6. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched

Pharmacy Student
    Compared to trying to manually eject a spent round from a jammed M-16 while the Republican Guard sends 7.62mm rounds over your head...the PCAT was fodder.

7. ageldred

ageldred Member

Pharmacy Student
    Compared to being robbed at Walgreens the PCAT was a piece of cake. ;) However there are no bullets flying or robbers at the test site (hopefully). But seriously I think it was harder than the SAT (from what I remember as that was uhh ten years ago? crap I'm old.) Plus the PCAT means a lot more to me than the SAT did. I am just waiting....and waiting on these June scores.

8. janeno

janeno Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think PCAT is harder than Sat. For SAT (old test), I only had to focus on English and Math. By contrast, PCAT covers 6 different sections all focusing on different areas (English, Bio, Math, etc.). Moreover, SAT scores are not as crucial as PCAT scores. Even if you do horribly on SAT, you will go to some college... However, if you fail PCAT, you can pretty much forget about pharmacy school...