xisacxx

10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi! I got accepted into pharmacy school for the fall but am waitlisted in a class for spring quarter. The school asks that all prereqs be completed by the end of Spring 2010, but the class is open and available for Summer Session I which ends a full month before pharm schools starts in the fall. Has anyone been in a similar situation and was allowed to take the class in the summer and finish the prereq a month or two late? I would hate to delay my entrance to pharm school by a year just because I would finish my prereqs a month or two later. Any advice would help! Thanks!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I really think this is a question for the pharm school admissions dept. They may or may not be willing to make an exception in your case. If it is a science course, they might not let you complete it over the summer.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Hi! I got accepted into pharmacy school for the fall but am waitlisted in a class for spring quarter. The school asks that all prereqs be completed by the end of Spring 2010, but the class is open and available for Summer Session I which ends a full month before pharm schools starts in the fall. Has anyone been in a similar situation and was allowed to take the class in the summer and finish the prereq a month or two late? I would hate to delay my entrance to pharm school by a year just because I would finish my prereqs a month or two later. Any advice would help! Thanks!
Last year when I was accepted, I had two pre-requisites left (Microbio and Speech). I completed Speech in the Spring and then had Microbio left to take. I took it over Summer session 1, and I was done with it by the first week of July. Find out about summer sessions ASAP, because I had to go to two different schools to find out about it because the professor at the first school wouldn't let me take it.

busyizzy

lalala~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2007
SF
Status
Pharmacy Student
This isn't exactly your case, but I got an interview to a school that I didn't know before I applied that all prereqs need to be completed by spring semester. When I asked if there could be any exception to finish it by summer semester, the school said no, so I did not go to the interview. But since you are already accepted, it might be different. You'd have to call and see.

xtm29x

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yeah, I agree to call and check. But I don't see what's the big deal as long as you finish it prior to attending the school in fall. Summer is technically still the same academic school year...

intoku

UW PharmD c/o 2014
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
Seattle
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Depends on the pharmacy school. University of Washington, for example, is 100% strict about their spring (June) deadline for completing prerequisites. Ask your school!

ajh88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
I really think this is a question for the pharm school admissions dept. They may or may not be willing to make an exception in your case. If it is a science course, they might not let you complete it over the summer.
Agree with this - sometimes a non-science course may be finished over summer while sciences must be done by end of spring. It is all really going to depend on the school.

catgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
What class are you missing?
I would try to get into an online class or a community college class.

By3Times1Minus1

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
Austin, TX
Status
Pharmacy Student
What class are you missing?
I would try to get into an online class or a community college class.
^^what she said. if you're already accepted, then you don't have to make yourself look competitive anymore. if it's a class offered by your local CC, i would take it there since it will probably be cheaper and easier than taking it an a university (just check with the pharmacy school to make sure they'll accept credit from a CC for that class). i was in a similar situation, and i went and talked to the professor teaching the class at my university. i explained to him that i had to have the class this semester, i had already spent about $1,000 in applications and travel expenses for interviews, and that i would have to wait another year and pay all those app fees again. he was very helpful and willing to let me in the class. they apparently held extra spots open for students in situations like mine, so it can't hurt to talk to the professor to manually add you.

Chinese Bandit

Pharmacy Student
Sep 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
To my knowledge, if the school requires all pre reqs to be finished by the end of the spring, everything must be finished no exceptions. You should have known this before you applied. You cannot bypass any rules just because you were accepted. If they let you finish after the spring, they have to let everyone else. Isn't it kind of late in the game to find out now? I hope everything works out, good luck.

Feb 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I had a friend that happened to and she went and talk to someone at the
class registration dept and they made an exception and put her into the class she needed. They said they made an exception since she had already been accepted to graduate school and it was depended on her taking the class. It is worth a try to at least go down and explain your problem to them. :xf:

Feb 26, 2010
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
To my knowledge, if the school requires all pre reqs to be finished by the end of the spring, everything must be finished no exceptions. You should have known this before you applied. You cannot bypass any rules just because you were accepted. If they let you finish after the spring, they have to let everyone else. Isn't it kind of late in the game to find out now? I hope everything works out, good luck.
I'd have to agree. I know that I would be upset if I lost a seat at a pharmacy school to someone who didn't follow the guidelines which were clearly stated upon application. If everyone else is subject to those conditions then you should be too. Fortunately, the schools I am applying to don't make application decisions until after the transcript deadlines anyway, so it is virtually impossible for someone to get accepted without the necessary pre-reqs. I know you are already admitted, but it seems to me that you should have planned to complete this pre-req with more time to spare and not left it to chance on a wait list. Of course, like everyone is saying, the schools might make an exception and you should definitely call and find out what their policy is. However, it seems to me that this is something that they really shouldn't be making an exception on without a serious excuse (ie. illness and the like) and not simply the failure to plan appropriately. I mean, what if you ended up failing (for whatever reason) or not taking the course at all? Theoretically they should revoke your admission, but at that point it would probably be too late to fill your spot.

EtohResearcher

Accepted Pharmacy Student
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I think you're fine as long as your finished before fall..depends on the school but one of my friends was waitlisted last qtr, didn't have all the pre-reqs and ended up having to take that class in the summer when she did got accepted.