Question: NYMC, downstate or Pstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so I have those 3 acceptances so far (2 wait lists but not much hope w/ regard to those)...

Anyway, I can't come to decide which I want to go to and May 15th is practically here. Actually I guess I have narrowed it down to NYMC or dstate cause pstate is frankly 2 suburban for me (NYC native). Additionally, I would like to pursue something along the lines of surgery (neuro if I have a chance at matching it) and pstate is kinda weak w/ regard to clinical rotations due to its uber suburban setting (straight from the mouths of both my interviewers there).

Thus I guess it comes down to either dstate or nymc. Dstate is great in terms of clinical rotations (king’s county hospital amongst others) but the setting and facilities aren’t the best. NYMC is middle ground I guess.... ugh

any ideas guys?

thanx. :)

Members don't see this ad.

just my two cents:

nymc: great school / they put out strong, strong clinicians/ but MONDO EXPENSIVE!!!!!!

downstate: they put out strong clinicians too / much more affordable / Kings County, yes. Crazy place. You'll do lot's of stuff (as you will at NYMC hospitals) But indeed unless you live there already or have a car, might be an adjustment living there based on the neighborhood (depends what you're used to)

don't worry about residency: people from both schools do fine: check out their match lists.

hey thanx for the response.

Regarding the price, well, im not bill gates so it does matter to me to an extent (though def not more than residency match record and research opportunities)...I will be getting loans either way.... The neighborhood issue is there. Downstate is very rough and a friend of mine (yr 1) tells me to basically stay in after dark. On the other hand, I keep hearing how great the clinical exposure is @ downstate by virtue of its location and kings county hospital. This IS important to me since I am not looking to go the primary care rout and want to def go into surgery/em.

It just seems like the feedback I get on this issue is so conflicted (including previous threads I have read on this site). I did a match comparison (as provided by each school online) for 05 below. I realize one year doesn't mean much but that said, which do you guys think is more competitive?

Also, does anyone know how they rank on research (I come from a research background and would love to be involved in research somewhat throughout my medical education/career).

Thanx again 

* = downstate
-- = no info provided (no match?)

Anesthesiology (20)*
Anesthesiology (15)

Child Neurology (2)*
--

Dermatology(2)*
--

Emergency Medicine (16)*
Emergency Medicine (8)

Family Practice (4)*