Question on A.T. Still's Father

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterFutu

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reading The DOs by Norman Gevitz, and I came upon a question that I cannot seem to answer. A.T. still did not finish medical school and much of his early training was from his father, who was a physician and a pastor.

Before the civil war, it was not uncommon for most people to be trained as physicians under the apprenticeship system.

I was wondering what kind of training did A.T.'s father receive? Was he trained by a great physician that was not his family member, at a school.

I ask this because I want to get more insight on A.T. Still's background, although the book does talk about his views on medicine.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am reading The DOs by Norman Gevitz, and I came upon a question that I cannot seem to answer. A.T. still did not finish medical school and much of his early training was from his father, who was a physician and a pastor.

Before the civil war, it was not uncommon for most people to be trained as physicians under the apprenticeship system.

I was wondering what kind of training did A.T.'s father receive? Was he trained by a great physician that was not his family member, at a school.

I believe he did his residency under an RN or LPN.

Given that I can find few records, and that he practiced as both a dentist and physician, it can be surmised that he was most likely an apprentice of another physician and never attended a formal medical school. Not that that's such huge deal, given the small amount of useful medical knowledge at the time lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Given that I can find few records, and that he practiced as both a dentist and physician, it can be surmised that he was most likely an apprentice of another physician and never attended a formal medical school. Not that that's such huge deal, given the small amount of useful medical knowledge at the time lol.

Haha I was about to say the same thing. It doesn't really matter because at that time shoving mercury up your penis was the way to "cure" a UTI... Um no thank you...
:whoa:

Reactions: 1 user

I ask this because I want to get more insight on A.T. Still's background, although the book does talk about his views on medicine.

Thanks in advance!

It's doubtful he attended formal medical school. At still himself claimed to have went but that is also very questionable. Medicine was different back then and what AT was doing at the time was better then the alternative for the most part

Reactions: 1 users