question on AMCAS work experiences section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I list high school volunteer activities on AMCAS? I worked at a clinic as a clerical worker. Also, do I list my hobbies just to give them an idea of what I like to do on my spare time?

Members don't see this ad.

zurned said:
Do I list high school volunteer activities on AMCAS? I worked at a clinic as a clerical worker. Also, do I list my hobbies just to give them an idea of what I like to do on my spare time?
If you felt that this high school experience was significant in your decision to go into medicine, I would list it. I listed an internship I did while in high school, but it was better than some of the things I've done in college! As for hobbies, I wouldn't unless you have nothing else to write about. There is often room for these things on secondaries, and if not there then in interviews. This is of course with exception to very serious hobbies such as "olympic gold medalist" or something like it. :luck:

zurned said:
do I list my hobbies just to give them an idea of what I like to do on my spare time?

If it makes you seem more interesting, then it might be worth listing.

For example, back-country hiking, rock climbing, horseback riding, skiing, sailing -- gives the interviewer something to ask you about. On the other hand, it may make urban schools wonder what you see in them.

The sort of thing that sounds like what many people do: cooking, travel, reading is too broad. If you picked just one and described it in more detail (have read all of Dickens novels in the order in which they were published and visited Dickens' childhood home during a semester abroad in England) then you have something of a conversation starter.