Question on Carnegie Mellon Undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegefreak12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does CMU have a smaller list of acceptance to med school because less people apply, or because they have a hard school and so the people have lower GPAs?

So what I am asking is...lets say person A majored in mechanical engineering at CMU and person B majored in mech eng. in, oh I don't know, Johns Hopkins. Would one of the people have an advantage to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Any Hahvahd/Yale kid will beat you in a heartbeat. Since they make the ultimate of medical students and consequently the best doctors in the world, they get the red carpet anywhere they go.

Seriously, take it easy. You'll do just fine with CMU. Just worry about your MCAT. Schools make you take it for a reason, to level the field, so to speak. And yes, most schools will take into account the the 'toughness' of the school and the grading policies they're known to have.

Look at my MDApps Profile.

The person who majored in Mech. Eng. at CMU would be looked upon more favorably because CMU is, far and away, a better engineering school than JHU. Far, far better. If you are considering studying Mech. Eng. and then medicine, CMU would be a great choice.

I think there are fewer acceptances to Medical School from CMU because, for some reason, the school doesn't stress medicine as a career choice. I did not meet a single person that considered themselves premed at CMU when I went there, and I knew a LOT of people. I have no idea why there aren't/weren't many premeds at CMU, but there just weren't, from my experience. If you look over MDApps profiles from people who went to CMU, you'll find that overall they seem to be pretty successful at getting into top schools (me included :p)