Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question on choosing schools and schools to decline...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Zonata, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Zonata

Zonata Member
    7+ Year Member

interviews with.

I am a California resident and have been accepted to Michigan. I also received an interview with UCSD which I am considering declining.

I know UCSD is less expensive, but I only keep hearing negative things about the school. I love the area, but everyone I talk to who went there and is currently there hates the school. Considering all of the positive things I hear about Michigan and the fact it is a more prestigious intstitution which university would you attend if there was an option?

Thanks for the responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you'll get a better perspective if you actually go to the interview. one man's trash is another man's treasure, and the reasons someone might not "like" a school might be different for you. hell, my buddy at cornell HATES their curriculum, but thats one of the main things that interests me about the school. plus, if anything multiple acceptances might mean more bargaining power for financial aid.

in summation, just go to the interview. what can it hurt?

4. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

ucsd

i've never been to michigan but i bet winters are a bitch up there

5. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It can't hurt to go and see what the school is like. And if you're a ca resident, travel expenses to go to the interview isn't costing you much so it's not like you're throwing any money down the drain. Who knows, you might have a different perspective after going to the school.

6. Zonata

Zonata Member
    7+ Year Member

The one additionaly consideration I have with declining interviews is that I currently have a job that is not accepting of time off.

I work a ridiculous amount of hours per week and due to the culture of the job people are not allowed significant time off, but I don't want to get fired because the job is currently paying for med school.

They have already given me a hard time about the time I have already taken off to get interviews and I am in a tenuos position as it is.

Thanks for the previous opinions.