Question on consolidation and stafford interest rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sense

Sensible User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions. I found out that basically I'm going to get the full stafford loans limit for both subsidized and unsubsidized each year while in school. So each year I get an additional stafford loan.

Does that mean when I start repayments I'll have to make separate monthly payments since I'm receiving a new stafford loan each year or will it just be one large payment. In other words, would I be able to consolidate if the stafford is my only source of loans, or is it considered one giant loan once I hit repayment.

Finally, I know that the interest rate during school right now is 2.77% which is great while the interest rate in repayment is 3 something %. What are the chances of this rate staying this low within the next 4 years? I would save so much money if it does. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If all the loans are with the same lender than you will just send in one payment. If you have multiple lenders (or even if you don't) you can consolidate your loans and still just make a single payment each month.

The chances of interest rates staying this low for the next 4 years is slim...possible, but not likely.

mpp said:
If all the loans are with the same lender than you will just send in one payment. If you have multiple lenders (or even if you don't) you can consolidate your loans and still just make a single payment each month.

The chances of interest rates staying this low for the next 4 years is slim...possible, but not likely.
Thanks again mpp, king of financial aid. :)