Question on defferment of Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKPsiMD84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the conditions and effects of deffering admission to medical school for X amount of time?

Members don't see this ad.

A good reason and usually the give you a year. If you have extenuating circumstances, it could possibly be longer, but I wouldn't really know.

Most importantly, you need to decide ASAP. Most schools have a May 15th deadline for telling them you want to defer a year so they have adequate time to offer your position to someone else for that year. It's too easy to get shafted on financial aid for those people who get in late.

Aside from serious illness, commitment to another degree program (like MPH for example) or personal/family crisis, what would constitute a good reason? Would deferment screw me over in any way?

Aside from serious illness, commitment to another degree program (like MPH for example) or personal/family crisis, what would constitute a good reason? Would deferment screw me over in any way?

Rhodes/Fullbright scholarship.