mintendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Status
If the question asks "Do you think you will contribute to the diversity of our school?", what does "diversity" really include?

Of course there is ethinic and culture diversity. But does interesting experiences (research, hobbies, etc) count?

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
mintendo said:
If the question asks "Do you think you will contribute to the diversity of our school?", what does "diversity" really include?

Of course there is ethinic and culture diversity. But does interesting experiences (research, hobbies, etc) count?
Of course...also include personality, describe your 'uniqueness' (I guess now is a great time to start thinking about what makes you, you).

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Anything about your background or life experience that contributes to some unique perspective is fair game. Think diversity of thought/perspective, not diversity of melanin expression.

About the Ads

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i was actually curious about that myself...
not so much what constitutes diversity, but how much we should show off our racial/cultural diversity

like, on one hand, if i put that i'm a russian-jewish New Yorker on my USC app, it would look great, but would they rather hear about my personality and interests?

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
nice :thumbsup:

AnthonyNY

"Ant, you're 'that guy'."
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2006
Status
Looque said:
Anything about your background or life experience that contributes to some unique perspective is fair game. Think diversity of thought/perspective, not diversity of melanin expression.
you hit the nail right on the head.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
the problem is, three years at Cornell have taught me that being diverse means being gay, black, hispanic, or some combination of the three. If your not one of the three, you are a racist and are probably committing a hate crime as I am writing this.

Caristra

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
If diversity was only referring to race/ethnicity it would not be a fair essay question to require students to write because a good portion of applicants would not be considered diverse. It's a pretty bad secondary when most applicants cannot complete a required question due to no fault of their own.

Try and focus on ec's and life experiences that make you a person of depth.

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
meh, I'm assuming there's at least one UofM applicant in here. Annoyingly, they've been politicizing the "diversity" issue since the supreme court ruiling a few years ago. I'm pro-AA and all, but it gets annoying.

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
geno2568 said:
the problem is, three years at Cornell have taught me that being diverse means being gay, black, hispanic, or some combination of the three. If your not one of the three, you are a racist and are probably committing a hate crime as I am writing this.QUOTE]

lol.... good one I must say

About the Ads