Question on "Diversity"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the question asks "Do you think you will contribute to the diversity of our school?", what does "diversity" really include?

Of course there is ethinic and culture diversity. But does interesting experiences (research, hobbies, etc) count?

Members don't see this ad.

mintendo said:
If the question asks "Do you think you will contribute to the diversity of our school?", what does "diversity" really include?

Of course there is ethinic and culture diversity. But does interesting experiences (research, hobbies, etc) count?
Of course...also include personality, describe your 'uniqueness' (I guess now is a great time to start thinking about what makes you, you).

Anything about your background or life experience that contributes to some unique perspective is fair game. Think diversity of thought/perspective, not diversity of melanin expression.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was actually curious about that myself...
not so much what constitutes diversity, but how much we should show off our racial/cultural diversity

like, on one hand, if i put that i'm a russian-jewish New Yorker on my USC app, it would look great, but would they rather hear about my personality and interests?

Looque said:
Anything about your background or life experience that contributes to some unique perspective is fair game. Think diversity of thought/perspective, not diversity of melanin expression.

you hit the nail right on the head.

the problem is, three years at Cornell have taught me that being diverse means being gay, black, hispanic, or some combination of the three. If your not one of the three, you are a racist and are probably committing a hate crime as I am writing this.

If diversity was only referring to race/ethnicity it would not be a fair essay question to require students to write because a good portion of applicants would not be considered diverse. It's a pretty bad secondary when most applicants cannot complete a required question due to no fault of their own.

Try and focus on ec's and life experiences that make you a person of depth.

meh, I'm assuming there's at least one UofM applicant in here. Annoyingly, they've been politicizing the "diversity" issue since the supreme court ruiling a few years ago. I'm pro-AA and all, but it gets annoying.

geno2568 said:
the problem is, three years at Cornell have taught me that being diverse means being gay, black, hispanic, or some combination of the three. If your not one of the three, you are a racist and are probably committing a hate crime as I am writing this.QUOTE]

lol.... good one I must say