Question on Early Decision / Guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gx255

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1- I hear doing Early Decision means having that specific school only when doing the application. Does that mean early decision increases chances of being accepted assuming everything else in the application is alright?

2- And would it help to have an Alumni who was part of the Admission Committee with connections with the deans write me a Recommendation?
Also does recommendations from Doctors at volunteer and shadowing help?

3- Also is it "Important" to get rid of "D" grades in the required science courses? I hear most admission committee's generally want to see an upward trend and how dedicated you are in improving grades etc.

4- And does high MCAT outweigh a low GPA or atleast considered and looked at more?

5- Talking to doctors close to me, I was told Biochem, Immunology, Genetics, Physiology are courses taken in Medical School. I have finished Physiology with a B-, working on Immunology, and going into Biochem + Genetics in 2008-2009 and trying Chemistry minor.(Currently at Biology Major/Pre-Med) Would those courses have strong impact on my admission process assuming grades in those courses are B or higher?

6- Most importantly, I plan on attending Medical School right after Undergrad in Fall 09, when should i take MCAT and prepare my application? I'm unsure of this b/c i was told 3rd year mcat grades are important so i have been studying for quite sometime now and still contemplating if i should take a "Private Kaplan 35hr Course"

Thanks for the help if possible. These questions have been bothering me for a long time.

-GX

Members don't see this ad.

1- I hear doing Early Decision means having that specific school only when doing the application. Does that mean early decision increases chances of being accepted assuming everything else in the application is alright?

2- And would it help to have an Alumni who was part of the Admission Committee with connections with the deans write me a Recommendation?
Also does recommendations from Doctors at volunteer and shadowing help?

3- Also is it "Important" to get rid of "D" grades in the required science courses? I hear most admission committee's generally want to see an upward trend and how dedicated you are in improving grades etc.

4- And does high MCAT outweigh a low GPA or atleast considered and looked at more?

5- Talking to doctors close to me, I was told Biochem, Immunology, Genetics, Physiology are courses taken in Medical School. I have finished Physiology with a B-, working on Immunology, and going into Biochem + Genetics in 2008-2009 and trying Chemistry minor.(Currently at Biology Major/Pre-Med) Would those courses have strong impact on my admission process assuming grades in those courses are B or higher?

6- Most importantly, I plan on attending Medical School right after Undergrad in Fall 09, when should i take MCAT and prepare my application? I'm unsure of this b/c i was told 3rd year mcat grades are important so i have been studying for quite sometime now and still contemplating if i should take a "Private Kaplan 35hr Course"

Thanks for the help if possible. These questions have been bothering me for a long time.

-GX

1. People who are usually exceptionally qualified for a particular school apply EDP.

2. LOR's from Doctors help, and letters of recommendation from an admissions committee especially help.

3. An upward trend is something you should show if you have gotten a D. I hope there was an extenuating circumstance attached with that too.

4. A very high MCAT score should go along with a low GPA (in the 32's and above). It shows you have improved your ability to comprehend science material and improve your reading comprehension skills.

5. A science major and non-science major are looked at equally in many schools. Take classes you find interesting, because a high GPA at this point is what matters to help you with an upward trend. But of course, courses like Immunology do help you become familiar with concepts in medical school, and some schools require Biochemistry.

6. I recommend you take the MCAT this upcoming April or May.

Good luck.

To Dendrite:
For med school fall 09. I should take MCAT spring 08? "upcoming April or May." ?

Members don't see this ad :)
For Fall 09, you should take the MCAT in 2008, preferably in April or May. Good luck! I'm on the same boat. And remember that applying Early Decision puts you behind in other schools. So, think really hard about it.

For Fall 09, you should take the MCAT in 2008, preferably in April or May. Good luck! I'm on the same boat. And remember that applying Early Decision puts you behind in other schools. So, think really hard about it.

:thumbup:

Early Decision Programs usually have a deadline by which to have your application completed (August 1st comes to mind). Since you are shooting to enter medical school in Fall of 09, I recommend taking the MCAT in April or May of 2008; this allows for your scores to be reported by June/July to make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

And I forgot to mention, applying EDP to one school means that you cannot apply to any other schools unless that EDP school does not accept you. This means you will be complete at all other schools by mid-late October, which is bordering on the late side. If you are rejected from the EDP program, schools will reconsider you for regular decision afterwards.

It is a big decision, and I would recommend you see a premed advisor to determine what is the best course of action.

1- I almost applied ED, so I looked into it a lot. For most schools, you have to contact them for permission. Usually, they are able to tell you whether it's a realistic / worthwhile application or not. And although you can't apply to medical schools until you're rejected (if you're not accepted) you can prepare all your other applications to get them all out on the day.

3/4- I have a lower gpa from a difficult program at a difficult school (it does matter). my gpa has an upwards trend. I did very, very well on the mcat, and selectively applied to some favorite schools and so far, I have had several interviews, all at very competitive schools.

Does Age matter? I'm going to be 21 when I enter.

Does Age matter? I'm going to be 21 when I enter.

Age doesn't matter nearly as much as maturity does. Admissions Committees are able to see this through your personal statement, secondary essays, letters of recommendation, and interviews.

i'm on the same boat. I'll be 20 turning 21 when I enter, but my pre-med adviser said that they dont really look into age anymore. Some state schools might ask you "why so early?", so have a good answer prepared, but other than that, I've heard from people who've entered young, that schools won't really care. Just show maturity at interviews and have an answered prepared ahead of time.