Question on enzymes involved in cellular respiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treeclimbingmonkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To what extent should we memorize all the enzymes involved in the Krebs, glycolysis, glucogenesis, pyruvate decarboxylation, pentose phosphate pathway, and electron transport chain? It is just a lot of enzyme names that I have to memorize and am not sure if I should invest time in memorizing them if it is not required.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely know them. Theres a lot of discrete on them. Also know which enzymes connect the cycles. Pyruvate dehydrogenase takes pyruvate from glycolysis and makes acetyl-CoA for citric. Also which enzymes do substrate level phosphorylation. Those important enzymes i would memorize at the bare minimum

Reactions: 1 user
So what I did was draw glycolysis from glucose to pyruvate with enzymes, arrows indicating if the rxn is reversible or not, and what goes in and out (ex atp, nadh) then i drew glyconeogenesis next to it. That helped because theyre the same with a few exceptions. Cac is easier because most if the enzymes are named by their reactant. Etc isnt to bad only 4 complexes. Know nadh ->comp1->3->4 fadh2 comp2->3->4

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to known the complex number or like the names NADH reductase, ubiquinone, succinate dehydrogenase, cytochrome C, cytochrome oxidase/reductase. I know for sure we need to ATP synthase just not sure about the other few.

It wouldn't hurt. I personally memorized them because I didn't study for my mcat last year and obviously did bad so I memorized all minute details this time so I can get high/low yield questions.

Yes, you need to memorize all the enzymes and steps for those metabolic pathways. I found drawing a connected flowchart of all the pathways very helpful. If you have your own way of memorization from your biochemistry class, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users