Question on F30, priority scores, and PA-16-306

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedneuronsltd1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I was hoping someone could answer some questions about F30's. Recently, I applied to the new FOA PA-16-306. I believe the NIH took the old F30 and split it into two: One for MSTP schools and the other for non-MSTP schools (which is my institution).

I got a impact score of 30 (dec 8th 2016 submission). I havent received my summary statement (3-4 weeks from yesterday) so I am not sure what my percentile would be. I believe the percentile is based upon the priority scores of all the grants reviewed in the top 50th percentile within the study section?

My main questions are:
1) From what I can gleam on the internet, it looks like a score of 30 is on the borderline for F30s? Am I correct in my thinking?
2) Does anyone have insight into how splitting the original PA into two, effect funding decisions and the review of a grant?
3) Are resubmissions "favored" over first time submissions? This is my 1st submission. If someone else has a resubmission with a 30 impact score, would they get priority?
3) On my eracommons page, there are 2 ICs. One is the NINDS (primary) the other is NIMH. Does this mean that if NINDS doesnt have funds or doesnt feel like funding it, the NIMH looks at it?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Every institute is interpreting the guidelines a bit different. If you have dual assignments, if institute #1 doesn't pick it up, but institute#2 has funding for that level, they might pick it up. In general, funding rates for F30's from non-MSTP schools should be better than those in the other FOA (MSTP institutions). Depending upon the institute, an impact factor of 30 might be at 40% (percentile) or so, close to the cutting number, but because of your FOA (non-MSTP), it might be better than that.

Bottomline, congrats on getting an IS of 30. This is promising, even if you resubmit, but read carefully and reply to each criticism in a constructive manner. What you can do next week is to talk to the program officers from both institutes and tell them about your IS. Do a phone conversation, but email them including your IS, grant number, etc requesting a phone conversation next week.

Reactions: 3 users
The impact factor can suggest a percentile rank, but percentile rank is just where your grant's impact score falls among the other grants' impact scores. Getting score is better than not though and that is something to be proud of.

As said above, you will have a 1 page resubmission introduction to address concerns (though maybe it is longer for F like it can be for Ks and Ts, look at the FOA). Make sure you address them succinctly point for point. Talking to the program officer can help as they make you insight into the discussion of your grant during study section.

Here is some additional guidance which you may or may not have already discovered:
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/resubmission_q&a.htm

Also the NIAID has a good grant writing guide:
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/grants-contracts/revise-resubmit-application

Reactions: 1 user
Posting to keep in my history.