Question on getting start with OAT prep: Best diagnostic test and study materials

D

deleted989644

Hello!

I'm planning on studying for about two months for the OAT. However, I have some questions to get started:

XX

-What is the best diagnostic test to gauge myself for the OAT to serve as a guide-post for improvement?

-The only other major science test I have taken was the MCAT. How does this exam compare to that?

-Would two months of moderate study (I work part-time at a clinic) be alright to maximize a good score for the OAT?

-I see that there are a lot of sources for study for the OAT. What are the best sources to really maximize the potential for the exam? I found Kaplan, Crack the OAT and OAT Destroyer.

-Would it be possible to just use one source to ace the test or is a combination of sources preferred? I read that Kaplan tends to be more difficult than the real OAT, for example.

XX

I just want to maximize my time well and consult with those who have already aced the exam.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Good questions. I took my OAT about 6 weeks ago and here is my advice: prioritize practice tests. I studied for about 3 months in the evenings because I work full time, and of that, I spent WAY too much time trying to read through the entire Kaplan prep book. When I finally got to practice exams, I realized that is where I should have spent my time. Start with a practice test and let it show you where your weak spots are; then study those areas more thoroughly (but don’t forget to briefly review things you know pretty well). Study for a few weeks and then take another test, repeat, etc. Most tests let you review what you got wrong, and I found it helpful to take notes on that.
For reference, my GPA is 3.8 and my OAT AA was 320 - I still got an interview at my top school, but I’m positive my OAT would have been higher if I had used practice tests earlier on.
Good luck and don’t stress too much! ☺️

Hello! Good questions. I took my OAT about 6 weeks ago and here is my advice: prioritize practice tests. I studied for about 3 months in the evenings because I work full time, and of that, I spent WAY too much time trying to read through the entire Kaplan prep book. When I finally got to practice exams, I realized that is where I should have spent my time. Start with a practice test and let it show you where your weak spots are; then study those areas more thoroughly (but don’t forget to briefly review things you know pretty well). Study for a few weeks and then take another test, repeat, etc. Most tests let you review what you got wrong, and I found it helpful to take notes on that.
For reference, my GPA is 3.8 and my OAT AA was 320 - I still got an interview at my top school, but I’m positive my OAT would have been higher if I had used practice tests earlier on.
Good luck and don’t stress too much! ☺

Thank you very much!

For materials, what things should I get for two months? I was thinking OAT + Math Destroyer, but that seems like a lot to finish overall and I heard that the material presented is harder than the actual exam. I was looking at getting Chad's videos + quizzes and possibly OAT Achiever. I'm saving the ADA practice test for the end, but I do have a Sample test for the OAT that I'll use to get a good diagnostic.

Should I get OAT destroyer and blitz through it or should I prioritize the video for content and Achiever for the test itself? My GPA is much weaker than yours, so I'm hoping to get a half-decent OAT score to get into my top choice. The test date I'm looking at is December before Christmas (I think that is appropriate since the OAT is given up whenever...but I'll check).

Would Chad's videos be sufficient for all subjects, including general math? How about Crack the OAT? That source seems pretty comprehensive to both content and testing, but I haven't heard much from it. I heard that Kaplan's tests are harder than the real exam though...

Thanks again!

Thank you very much!

For materials, what things should I get for two months? I was thinking OAT + Math Destroyer, but that seems like a lot to finish overall and I heard that the material presented is harder than the actual exam. I was looking at getting Chad's videos + quizzes and possibly OAT Achiever. I'm saving the ADA practice test for the end, but I do have a Sample test for the OAT that I'll use to get a good diagnostic.

Should I get OAT destroyer and blitz through it or should I prioritize the video for content and Achiever for the test itself? My GPA is much weaker than yours, so I'm hoping to get a half-decent OAT score to get into my top choice. The test date I'm looking at is December before Christmas (I think that is appropriate since the OAT is given up whenever...but I'll check).

Would Chad's videos be sufficient for all subjects, including general math? How about Crack the OAT? That source seems pretty comprehensive to both content and testing, but I haven't heard much from it. I heard that Kaplan's tests are harder than the real exam though...

Thanks again!
I used only the big blue Kaplan book and Chad’s videos. I also bought Sterling prep books for bio and Orgo but I didn’t use them much. Kaplan’s book is excellent at giving you tips and tricks for solving things (or answering things) more quickly. Chad’s videos are AMAZING, though I didn’t use his OAT specific videos, just his regular ones that I had already been using for my undergrad courses. I also took the ADA exam last and found it pretty similar to the actual OAT. For additional practice, I used the free Gold Standard OAT online. I’m sorry I don’t have more info, I didn’t use much. The Kaplan practice tests were excellent for timing practice, too. I didn’t notice much difference in test difficulty between Kaplan and actual OAT, although I was so nervous on test day that it made it seem harder until I settled in! My scores were lower on the Kaplan tests, and the ADA test score was closer to my real scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

I 100% recommend Chads Videos from Course Saver ($50 a month). His videos were really good for gen chem, physics, and organic chem. I also highly suggest that you buy the Physics Crack the OAT because it has thermodynamics that are not taught in Chad's videos. For biology, I personally used Cliffs AP biology notes + Ferralis Bio Notes. If you have time to only study one, pick Ferralis bio notes. Lastly, for the QR, I watched Nancy Steen on Youtube. She has a playlist title "Math". They will show you the types of questions you will most likely see on the OAT. If you got any more questions let me know!

P.S. practice questions (and more importantly practice tests) will be your best friend!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I'm planning on studying for about two months for the OAT. However, I have some questions to get started:

XX

-What is the best diagnostic test to gauge myself for the OAT to serve as a guide-post for improvement?

-The only other major science test I have taken was the MCAT. How does this exam compare to that?

-Would two months of moderate study (I work part-time at a clinic) be alright to maximize a good score for the OAT?

-I see that there are a lot of sources for study for the OAT. What are the best sources to really maximize the potential for the exam? I found Kaplan, Crack the OAT and OAT Destroyer.

-Would it be possible to just use one source to ace the test or is a combination of sources preferred? I read that Kaplan tends to be more difficult than the real OAT, for example.

XX

I just want to maximize my time well and consult with those who have already aced the exam.

Thanks!
Did you take the oat? If so how’d you do ?