Question on joint degrees...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You Think I'm Sexy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking a joint MD/JD program (preferably on the west coast), but I have yet to find one. I was wondering if any of you know of any programs or are applying for any. I was also thinking of completing medical school, then doing the 4 year night law school during residency -- any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Table 1-B in the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), on pp 16-18 in the 2002-2003 edition, shows all joint MD/JD programs. There are none in the west.

It is always possible to go to law school after you complete the MD. It may not be as convenient and it will take longer, but in the end you will have what you want. Law schools generally have a flexible curriculum (a full time law student earns the degree in three years), so you might be able to study law part-time. You can't earn an MD part-time.

You could also first go for the law degree, but I do not recommend that because when you later apply to medical school your undergraduate science grades are aging. It is not undoable but I think the better strategy is to get the MD first.

if you want a JD/MD then you have to stay east. doing a residency is a 24 hour job. you will be too tired, too busy to attend anything at night to learn a law degree. the JD/MD thing looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how many schools offer the joint program, but I know UF has a 6 year MD/JD program. Trying to get the JD during residency isn't a wise idea. Rajneel1 is right, the kind of hours you're going to have to work during residency will leave you little time for anything else. That's just how it is.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your information!! I'm going to go MD first for sure... The ideal situation would be to find a school that integrated both, but while studying for law school I'd be afraid of not using medical knowledge that I know I'd quickly lose...

I'm interested in forensic medicine, and I know that the JD would be helpful in doing the job.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your help!

What aspect of forensic medicine do you want to go in to? Do you want to be a lawyer who understands medical evidence, do you want to be a medical examiner, do you want to testify in trials, be a profiler, or something else? Of all the things I mentioned, only being a lawyer will require the law degree. For almost all of the other aspects of forensic medicine, you would need the MD degree and residency in pathology or psych (focus on forensics). Just curious. [I have family members who are in criminal law (as lawyers) and work with forensic pathologists and forensic psychiatrists.] Take care,

Becky

Hi Becky,

I'm interested in the medical examiner/forensic pathology side of it -- not so much the lawyer side. I've had 6 yrs of experience in law enforcement so far, and I plan on continuing until medical school... The law degree was more of a side degree that I've wanted to have -- not so much to be in practice (odd, I know). My ultimate career goal is to work for the FBI, and I know that being a lawyer would be helpful in that also.

Thanks for the information!
-Michelle-

Hmm, interesting. I may have a unique perspective on your interests because I went to law school, worked for the bureau and am now in medical school -- it certainly made my interviews interesting!!!

First of all, if you want to be an FBI agent, being a lawyer will certainly help. The bureau likes to hire lawyers and accountants. I don't think being a MD/JD would help you very much in the application process because it is so rigid. You may get you application moved higher in the stack of those that get tested or interviewed. Actually, doing it may hurt you. The bureau has strict age guideline, they don't hire those over 37 unless they have prior federal service -- so keep that in mind.

If you want to work in the FBI labs, I'm sure that being a pathologist would help, but I don't remember any of the lab guys being MDs. Most were PhDs or Masters, but I'll bet there were some MDs. Remember, though, that the salaries will suck and you won't be doing investigations like an agent would. To the best of my knowlege, all of the profilers were Agents, but there may have been a psychologist or two around.

If you truely want to be an agent, med school is not your best route. In any event, the application process is long and to a certain extent arbitrary. Only about 1 in 100 who apply get a job.

Ed