NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
I am registerng for my Fall Semester

Is this possible,and should I do it or is taking one course out of the load a better idea?

Calculus I 3 credits

Physics I 4 credits

General Chemistry I 4 credits

General Biology I 4 credits

Elementery Spanish I 5 credits

Any thoughts, and nyone who has taken these courses already have any input?

Bayonetwork

7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Depends entirely on what type of student you are..are you strong in math? If not then take Calc or Physics off.

Taking that load is very doable, but you will need to manage your time well.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends entirely on what type of student you are..are you strong in math? If not then take Calc or Physics off.

Taking that load is very doable, but you will need to manage your time well.
I agree, that does look doable but there's no point taking such a heavy course load to get average grades or Cs.

Jun 7, 2009
In the land of cicadas and Spanish moss
Status
Medical Student
It's too much.

How about Calc I, Gen Chem, Spanish and fun liberal arts english/psych etc?

It will be good to get a solid math background before taking physics (calc based or not). I took the calc based physics and liked it, but I was also in calc II at the time. On another note, do ABSOLUTELY you need the calc? I don't think any (?) DO schools require it. It's a good experience in the sense it will make you stronger in math, sharpen analytical skillzz, BUT it is a royal pain in the ass/time sink that may jeopardize your performance in your other courses. Remember the GPA of your core sciences courses required by all schools will be looked at separately from the rest of your class grades.

How about (if you don't absolutely need calc)....ONLY Two sciences classes when you are starting out is a good rule of thumb (well, according to me!)

Gen Chem I
Gen Bio I
Spanish
medical anthropology or the like.

I recommend doing the General Chemistry first because you will need to take Organic next year.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Emerald:

Yeah I am taking precalc in the morning right now and Biostatistics, and so far so good, but yes I have to take Calc 1 to graduate my undergrad coursework and was told that I must do calc I and physics the same time.......

I may knock off the Biology 1 and only have Spanish Calc 1 physics and Chem.

At 17 credits were getting enough credits, and the credis over 17 cost 20% more per credit hour so that is also a consideration.

Im trying to take enough that Im not here for 5 or 6 years when I only have 2.5 left.

My humanities would be taken up by a core bible requirement, which is aviailable every semester.....sequence one of thescineces is only available Fall Semester.

A

Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
ICK, still way way way better to have done the calc I before physics. Its "do-able" technically, but why stress when you don't have to?
How about: Calc I, Gen Chem I, Bio I, Spanish, 5-6 hrs of sleep everyday:laugh:

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
It's not offered during the summersthe physics I course :( Drat it all. I am still figuring it out. It might be okay if I just take it the fall after this one.....though i am frightened I'll lose math, and I have to take Gen Chem i and II before Organic Chem I and II. I thinkthe schedule might be broken down oddly.

Oh and I either hav to take biology Iwith chem I or finish the whole series.....plannning right now is making me bonkers! I have to pre-register in 2 days then finalize with the advisor.....LOL the stress the stress.

P.S. I have a lot of institutional aid.

My days look like this, this semester

M-W-F
8:00am to 8:50am Precalculus for Health Sciences

9:00am to 9:50am Biostatistics for Health Sciences

10:20am to 11:10am New Testament History and Literature

11:20am to 12:20pm Chapel (skipping this gets you kicked out of your program, or causes loss of school based need aid.)

1:40pm to 2:30pm Old Testament History and Literature

Tuesday and Thursday

9:30am to 10:20am Fundametals of Speech Communications

11:00am to 12:15pm Introduction to Music (this involves a lot of history and report writing/advaned musical theory.)

This is 17 credits this for this semester.

About the only thing here for Summers is core biblical classes andsome biblical electives......I transferred in 37.3 Credits I am allowed to transfer in a max of forty, after that anything from outside the school doesn't count.

I think forcing pre-med majors to take 17 - 20 credits per semester is a way of screening who really wants it, and the sequence in the way things have to be done!

I hope our cohort of 18 survives!

Last edited:

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Bayonet a CRAZY student. LOL

A

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree Mohammed, but the way things are ordered it kind of forces one into doing it this way....I am trying to see how to get through it or around having a huge load.

A

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree Mohammed, but the way things are ordered it kind of forces one into doing it this way....I am trying to see how to get through it or around having a huge load.

A
I just read everything else you posted and it's a tough situation. Another option could be taking classes during the summer, Calc and Physics at another college as a visitor. If your college allows it, I don't think your financial package will apply to that. That's what I did when I had to take Calc 1. I remember the commute traveling 30-40 or less miles then rushing back to my micro class.

Out of calc at 5:50 and micro started at 6, somehow I made it in time around 6:03. I still try to figure out how fast I was driving and why no cops pulled me over. Just glad that headache is over with.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
LOL 30 - 40 miles....probably pretty fast! I am glad you and everyone you were driving with was safe and you got through your classes.

Nope, no help or Aid for summer....it's tough. I am just either going to have to do it. I study about 40 hours a week now.

I have an idea of what next semester will be like....

No one ever said it would be easy....I am going to talk with the registrar in the morning, I think I have heard of some exceptions to the 40 credit rule.

Requeires some red tape, but it's worth a shot.

A

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
It's funny because I used to get out of class and run to my car, start it up and just start driving normal. As soon as I hit the turnpike I guess I started zooming past cars. I would park the car down the hill because of residential parking and all. Run up that huge hill with boots! I love wearing boots, guess that's my style. In one hand I would have my lab coat, the other a paper towel to wipe the sweat off, remind you this was during the summer. My back pack would just be bouncing on my back hearing everything shake inside lol, looking back it was fun.

Good luck with the classes, I'm sure your going to make the right decision at the end. No need to rush through classes if your going to get a low grade, this is what everyone told me. Enjoy it, learn something, and have fun.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
LOL I totally understand!!!! I have a parking permit hereat school, my car stays stationary in it's fabulous parking spot most of the time. I pick to go out when people are leaving and then come back before they do and park there.

I don't drive on campus so I walk all the hills. My camps is on a huge hill over Lake Washington it's a lovely site in the mornings, but I always have my pack on, and am running down the hill or tudging up it, and sometimes through our woods.

It is a lot of fun, you know it's funny those little walks and sometimes heading to the waterfront or even just the library is a great stress reliever. I love seeing the Mountains and the lakeont he way to class, that makes some days all worth it!

Love the shaking backpack, and the boots, have a hoodie like that. It says Cute, but kinda' scary on it.
It's my favorite sweatshirt.
A

Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
you could take physics elsewhere over the summer. Just get financial aid. You have plenty of med school loans, so I wouldn't fuss over a grand or so.

I took 14-16 credits and felt it was plenty. The bile stuff does pad the schedule though, so if you like it and it doesn't take too much away from your science classes, then ok. I remember being frustrated at I "had" to take heavy course loads....what to do...alas. Your breaks will be important. hmmmm.....maybe no physics in the summer?

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually Emerald because the University has a church affiliation, 5 core bblical classes arerequired to graduate....if you don't take them here you don't graduate.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I am registerng for my Fall Semester

Is this possible,and should I do it or is taking one course out of the load a better idea?

Calculus I 3 credits

Physics I 4 credits

General Chemistry I 4 credits

General Biology I 4 credits

Elementery Spanish I 5 credits

Any thoughts, and nyone who has taken these courses already have any input?
I have nothing to contribute except I wish my school offer Cal I for only 3 credits versus 5.:mad:

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Punkmed, are you on a quarter or Semester system? 5 credits quarter is roughly equivalent to 3 semster credits.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It looks like my freshman schedule, but I was on a quarter schedule so it was even more awesome.

You might not be used to hard science... 4 of them at once might be overwhelming. Calculus is the foundation for everything, so take that. Bio and Physics are both standalone, but you need Gen Chem before Ochem, so definitely take Gen chem. Bio ties in later to Biochemistry but Biochemistry isn't a required subject that you need to take early. Bio is pretty easy too, computationally (much less homework) than Physics.

I'd drop Physics if I were to drop anything.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Morsetlis!

Thank you for the input I am taking that into consideration too, the general consensusseems to be to take physics after calc 1.

Andrea

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay I have to take physics and calc 1 together so next Semester is looking like this:

M-W-F
Spanish I 8:00am to 8:50am

Chapel I 10:00am to 11am

Physics 1 12:40pm to 1:30pm

Gen chem 1:40 - 2:30pm

T & Th

8:00am to 8:50am Spanish I

9:30am to 10:45am Calculus 1

That is 16 credits rather than 20 probably a better idea.

Andrea

Everglide

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That looks like a good schedule. Not too easy, not terribly difficult if you keep up with your studying. Plus you're done every day by 230pm.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Cool thanks Everglide! I have no money it's easy to keep up with studying ;)

A