Question on Neuroanatomy for Step I seriously, what to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm curious about neuro on Step I which can be overwhelming...this is frustrating because I used HY during my coursework and it was a great book but seriously pretty dense. I think of all the subjects on Step I, neuros the only one where im not sure what's enough. I mean my coursework was sooo dense compared to the stuff in FA. My following questions really are in comparing FA vs. HY (a fair representation of my coursework)

1.) THE CIRCUITRY: This is probably my biggest concern...
--> For example, when I look at FA and see the limbic system box, like do I need to know the Amygdala and Papez circuits?
--> Same goes for cerebellum.
--> Additionally, this goes for honestly all the cranial nerves (i.e.- all the ganglia we learned in Anatomy 1st year when we learned the cranial nerves)
These are pretty complex and FA just has the basics down but not sure how much I need to know.

2.) Are the pathological lesions in FA enough? There's certainly a lot more but just making sure.

3.) Do I need to know the Glasgow coma scale and the ARAS system (pretty much evaluating a coma patient)? Just additional stuff that I'm not sure if high yield or not?

4.) From what I read, there are just invaluable stuff you need to know not in FA...circle of willis, cross sections of the brainstem and head, etc...great chapters in HY I think that break stuff down simply

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Read HY Neuroanatomy. Do UW questions. Read the whole explanations. Profit.

Seriously, for step 1, there's not much more to know. There will always be those questions that even neurologist can't figure out, and luck is the great (un)equalizer.

Would definitely recommend HY neuroanatomy - good mixture of bullet points, neuroimaging and schematic diagrams

Members don't see this ad :)
HY neuro is good, probably a little bit too detailed in some areas and a little too broad in others. Know basic brainstem structures. Don't worry too much about the minutiae. In my opinion some of the nitpickiest questions are neuro but that's maybe 2-4 questions max, won't really affect your score.
Oh and know Wallenburg, Weber and similar kinds of syndromes - they love asking that stuff. Hematomas are pretty important too.

Last edited:
Hey,

First off, I wouldn't really rely on the information extracted from here. Overall the test is so vast that there are probably some people that got obscure questions and others that got pretty basic ones.

My recommendation: 1) UWorld questions 2) HY Neuroanatomy 3) FA-The page where it has the lesions; outside from these resources, just be comfortable w/ what tracts run where so if you do run into some trouble, you can make an educated guess.

HY Neuro during MS2 was decent, but I wouldn't recommend delving into it within three months of the exam.

Blast through the neuro sections of the Kaplan anatomy lecture notes. The slices you see in there are all you need.

The rest of the info that's important is gained through doing lots of questions.

And then of course know what's in FA.

That's it.

No, really, that's it.