question on ochem roadmap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankman321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I was looking at the roadmap from the DAT destroyer 2012 version and I saw one part of the roadmap and my question is:

why does the final product (on the top) have two Cl instead of the final product on the bottom (with the red circle) with only one Cl

let me know if you cant read it clearly. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Scan 001.jpg
    Scan 001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 58
Are you sure you copied it correctly? I think your double bond may have shifted over one carbon... in any case, the reason why there are 2 carbons and not 1 is because this is an reaction with Cl2/CCl4-- adding 2 cl across a double bond. If you only wanted to add one Cl, you would have used HCl. On the double bond, you would have formed an epoxide-like figure, but with a Cl instead of an O. This is called a chloronium ion.
I hope that answered your question!

Destroyer is correct here. Your circled products are wrong. Cl2 is a halogenation reaction of alkenes. It makes a teans product and places two chlorines on the carbons with a doubke bond. Your products placed chlorines on a different carbon, that did not have a double bind. Therefore it is incorrect. Hope this answers your question.