Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question on Research for admissions

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by kent100s78, Dec 1, 2005.

1. kent100s78

kent100s78 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have quick question I am a 3rd. year student have some prereq's done my GPA is not great about 2.9 on the dot. I was offered to help a doctor at Sloan cattering in NYC to do research on Cancer and preventative Cancer research. I could come as often as I would like and he would write me a recomendation when ever I would need i. if I do this for 2 years could this help me with my low GPA get into a school ( lets say my MCAT is avg. did not take it yet.) All I know he is the head of research for Sloan cattering.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That sounds great, but to be honest I don't know how much compensation it can do.

<~ Hook a brotha up with research lol

4. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    some schools have a cutoff of a 3.0 science gpa..which means they wont even send you a secondary..but i had 3 years of research..1 publication..and my gpa is higher than yours..and my mcat is slightly below average..and ive only got 2 interview invites..no acceptances so far...so my advice would be to bump ur gpa up.. my gpa was 3.3 overall 3.05 sci...but i only applied to 6 DO schools...UMDNJ, CCOM, AZCOM, NSU, UNE, NYCOM

5. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DO schools in general want more clinical experiences. Research will help, but it will only compensate little bit for the low GPA or MCAT.

6. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From my experience, research doesn't seem to do as much for DO schools as does clinical experience. An EMT job and/or maybe a post-bacc/special masters program might be a better option for you in my opinion. If you are interested in the research, then by all means do it, but clinical stuff seems to hold some more weight and the doing well in a post-bacc will help show that you can handle upper-level science classes.

7. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  8. kent100s78

kent100s78 Member
    7+ Year Member

I read here on the forum that someone got into LECOM FL with a 2.8

9. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm sure people get in w/ GPA's like that, but I can almost guarantee that they had several other significant things in the application, especially MCAT and major clinical work.

10. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your GPA may be close to a 3.0 but with it being under by that 0.1 may actually hurt you, like on of the other posters stated in regards to a 3.0 cutoff. You may be looked at and possibly interviewed at some schools, but once the adcom sees that GPA, you never know. Even if you have a high MCAT, some may frown on that low GPA. My advice would be to raise that GPA.

11. kent100s78

kent100s78 Member
    7+ Year Member

Are there any Touro College students at Touro COM in vegas. I am a student at Touro Colege in NY and was thinking of attending at Touro University. I thought I might have a better chance there since I am attending there sister school in NYC

12. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Just so you know, it's Sloan Kettering, not Cattering. ;) Good luck with your attempts to get in to school. :thumbup:

13. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Well, I've spoke with two (MD) med school admissions committees and my own school's premed committee on the importance of research in med school admissions and they have ALL told me research is not a good or bad things, it's looked on as a neutral item, because the idea is to turn out great clinicians, not good researchers. And I was very surprised since my undergrad was a big research school such that almost every premed student I knew did some research. In fact, they all said that GPA and MCAT is their foremost criteria, everything else is secondary. So my advice to you is: PULL UP YOUR GPA!!!

Your science GPA will really, really hurt you, DO or MD. I just got back from speaking a premed advisor (also my prof) and she mentioned that a student couldn't get into our local (MD) med school with a 3.1 and a 34 on their MCAT. And he had to reapply and do a masters program where he did excellent (all As) before being accepted.

From my experience, it is very much a numbers game. DO schools say they will look beyond the numbers but I have found that is not the case. I have noticed that DO schools were more receptive to me but my MCAT score was above average and my GPA was average or above average. Yet at the MD schools that have thus far rejected me, I have been below avg, and at the MD schools that have put me on hold, I have been avg or barely competitive.

I have come away from this process realizing that it's all a numbers game, it's just that DO schools tend to be more predicable with their numbers (i.e, if you are academically within range of their school, they will typically interview you it seems) while MD schools tend to be more of a crapshoot even if you are within range (i.e, they may or may not interview you despite your competitive scores). Yes, there are exceptions, but don't assume you will be one of them.

14. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dude do yourself a favor and ignore all of this insanity.

DO NOT throw away an opportunity at MSK.