Question on UIC Behavioral/Social Sciences Requirment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ESzczesniak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UIC states they require three semester (basically 3 classes) in anthropology, sociology and pschology to meet their requirements for behavioral and social sciences classes. I had never seen a requirement like this from any med school before I got their secondary (yes, I am a late August MCATer, but at least that paid off with a nice, high score). Now here is my problem. I have taken a number of social sciences (and one behavioral) courses. However, most of these have fallen under history, political science, geography and even our foreign languages department (yes, it was actually a culture based class, not foreign language), but none of them specifically from the departments they ask for. Does anybody know how strict they are on this? I tried calling their office, but I can't talk to a counselor until Thursday and I would like to try and get an answer sooner. Thanks for your help.

Eric

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on getting a secondary :) they screen. i called them about this too. they said that many people haven't fulfilled this requirement either but you can finish it over the summer at a j.c. or something, before you start school if you were accepted.

Joonie said:
congrats on getting a secondary :) they screen. i called them about this too. they said that many people haven't fulfilled this requirement either but you can finish it over the summer at a j.c. or something, before you start school if you were accepted.

They are strict with it. But, you have the option of taking any one of these requirements at any school you would like to as long as it is prior to matriculation (the lady I talked to said I could even take it at a community college). So, in a sense they are strict in that you have to have it but it should be a fairly easy requirement to fulfill if you will be attending. Also, note on your secondary that you will take this/these courses in the future prior to matriculation.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ESzczesniak said:
UIC states they require three semester (basically 3 classes) in anthropology, sociology and pschology to meet their requirements for behavioral and social sciences classes. I had never seen a requirement like this from any med school before I got their secondary (yes, I am a late August MCATer, but at least that paid off with a nice, high score). Now here is my problem. I have taken a number of social sciences (and one behavioral) courses. However, most of these have fallen under history, political science, geography and even our foreign languages department (yes, it was actually a culture based class, not foreign language), but none of them specifically from the departments they ask for. Does anybody know how strict they are on this? I tried calling their office, but I can't talk to a counselor until Thursday and I would like to try and get an answer sooner. Thanks for your help.

Eric
I would say a culture based class is considered to be social sciences.

How about their 3 - 500 word essays though - those really suck...

Scintillation said:
How about their 3 - 500 word essays though - those really suck...

Most definitely

please note that two of the three must be in the same category

but on the onther hand maybe less people will submit seconday :)

Does Uic Really Screen???

I'm Pretty Sure They Don't...let Me Know

Thanx

Sorry to bump this entire thread, but does anyone know if UIC will accept an online course to fulfill 1 behavioral science class? I really don't want to wait til next Thursday to ask a counselor.

Does anyone know if we have to take these behavioral science courses for a grade? or can it be pass/no pass?