Question re: Moving allowances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huskydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll be starting next summer from civilian residency and I am curious about what allowances I am entitled to when moving to first PCS.

from what I gather by searching the web...

1) Dislocation Allowance (DLA) as I have dependants
2) Mileage for driving one of our cars

after that its not so clear when reading the DOD websites and other sites.
any help would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

1. For your first PCS, you are not entitled to DLA.

2. Depending on how far your duty station is, there is a max number of days they will reimburse you for gas and per diem.

1. For your first PCS, you are not entitled to DLA.

2. Depending on how far your duty station is, there is a max number of days they will reimburse you for gas and per diem.

You don't get reimbursed for gas, you just get mileage. The number has not been adjusted for the high gas prices. For one person traveling alone, you get 19 cents per mile. If your spouse goes with you, you get a little more -- 21 cents, I think. I hope you have a small car. You also get per diem to cover meals and hotel.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto on the previous two posts. I also recommend doing a partial DITY (do it yourself) move. This is when they pay you to move some of your stuff. Basically you fill out the paperwork, weigh your car, then weigh it again after it's all loaded up. The gov pays you for that weight. Makes sense to do it because you will probably be carrying stuff anyway that you don't want the movers to break or steal and there's always that one closet you forget to empty out before the movers come.

Another thing to make sure you do at your first duty station is make sure your special pays are set up ASAP. They usually won't come around and offer it to you, so you need to make sure you go get it.

Is the below statement untrue??
from this website:
https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/faqdla.html

Q6: Am I entitled to DLA when moving from my home of record to my first duty station?

A6: By law there is no DLA allowance when the PCS is from your home (or the place from which you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS) unless your dependents actually move in connection with the PCS.

The way that reads...If I am moving my dependents with me (which I am) I should be eligible for DLA

Per Diem is 100/day + 50 for spouse and 25 for little kid it think

You are entitled to DLA if you move with your spouse. My husband just went on active duty and I had him bring in a print out of that page from the website. Also, I would get a letter from the Med-Ed department for HPSP (I talked with Charlotte Moore at the Navy HPSP office) stating exactly what you will be making (broken down). This will help when you check in and talk with the pay people. Unfortunately, coming from a civilian residency (which we did also) you do not get a lot of help in figuring out what your entitlements are. You will need to fill out paperwork right away to get the 15 thousand dollars - it distributes July/Aug (although we have not received it yet). My husband had to ask for the paperwork, no one volunteered it....

You are entitled to DLA if you move with your spouse. My husband just went on active duty and I had him bring in a print out of that page from the website. Also, I would get a letter from the Med-Ed department for HPSP (I talked with Charlotte Moore at the Navy HPSP office) stating exactly what you will be making (broken down). This will help when you check in and talk with the pay people. Unfortunately, coming from a civilian residency (which we did also) you do not get a lot of help in figuring out what your entitlements are. You will need to fill out paperwork right away to get the 15 thousand dollars - it distributes July/Aug (although we have not received it yet). My husband had to ask for the paperwork, no one volunteered it....

If your husband just started active duty and received his first PCS orders, he is not entitled to DLA. (no matter how many dependants) DFAS will probably figure that out in 3-4 months and ask for the money back.