Question regarding AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redwood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam. However, when I entered college, I retook Calculus 1 (one semester) and therefore waived the Calc BC credit. The Calc BC credit never showed up on my transcript at all.

Well, I'm applying to a medical school right now that allows Calc BC to be used to fulfill their 1 year Calculus requirement. If it doesn't show up on my transcript, even though I got a 5 on the exam, can I still use it to fulfill the school's math requirement?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not?

If it's not on your transcript, you can't claim AP credit on your AMCAS application. If it's not on your AMCAS, it might as well not exist as far as med schools are concerned. You might be able to call individual schools and negotiate some kind of compromise.

Nope, sorry. If it the tracks don't show up on the transcript then it will likely be counted. Unless you can send your AP scores to the school or even call AMCAS and see if they will accept it from collegeboard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam. However, when I entered college, I retook Calculus 1 (one semester) and therefore waived the Calc BC credit. The Calc BC credit never showed up on my transcript at all.

Well, I'm applying to a medical school right now that allows Calc BC to be used to fulfill their 1 year Calculus requirement. If it doesn't show up on my transcript, even though I got a 5 on the exam, can I still use it to fulfill the school's math requirement?

Thanks!

It looks like you got some bad advice as an UG. What you should have done is taken Calc III your first semester. (what I did) and you then would have 3 math semesters of credit on your transcript instead of only one. Sorry, .. :(

According to my advisor, if the AP credit isn't on your transcript then you can't use it to fulfill pre-reqs or put it on AMCAS. I had a somewhat similar situation (took AP Bio when I was in high school, but never used the credit so it's not on my transcript) and my advisor said since it's not on my college transcript it doesn't go on AMCAS

If your school uses blackboard, you should be able to check your unofficial transcripts. I retook a class that I AP'd out of and both were reflected on my transcript. The first few lines in my transcript were AP credits (as if it were a separate semester). If it doesn't show up, you're out of luck.

Also, that sucks that med schools are requiring two semesters of calc. There wasn't that requirement at any school I looked into 4 years ago. I took a ton of math and I can tell you that knowing advanced math has absolutely nothing to do with medicine.

Just checked. The school will accept a score report from collegeboard. thanks!