question regarding dental assistant course in NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swavas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I would like to know if there are any benefits if I do the dental assistants course in UMDNJ[University Of New Jersey].This is an ADA approved course.Duration of about 9 months.
My question is because I am on H4 status will I be able to work as an dental assistant if I complete this course?
Would anybody be willing to sponsor my H1 visa if I complete this course?
I also would like to know the job prospects after doing this course?or would it be better to do DDS once and for all because ultimately my goal is that only.
Also this course is kind of expensive like it has a total of 33 credits i think with each credit costing about $150 each?
So please advise as to whether this is a good course for the time being or shall I pursue my Part-1 studies.I already gave it once and got 82%.

Eagerly waiting for your responses

swavas

Members don't see this ad.

swavas said:
Hi All,
I would like to know if there are any benefits if I do the dental assistants course in UMDNJ[University Of New Jersey].This is an ADA approved course.Duration of about 9 months.
My question is because I am on H4 status will I be able to work as an dental assistant if I complete this course?
I also would like to know the job prospects after doing this course?or would it be better to do DDS once and for all because ultimately my goal is that only.
Also this course is kind of expensive like it has a total of 33 credits i think with each credit costing about $150 each?
So please advise as to whether this is a good course for the time being or shall I pursue my Part-1 studies.I already gave it once and got 82%.

swavas

swavas, you don't need a DA course to work as a DA in most if not all states (and I've been teaching in a DA program for the past two years, so I know what I'm talking about), you don't even need a license, you should be able to find a temporary job as DA very easily using your dental background. Now I don't much about different types of visa, but I know enough to tell you that there are slim chances to be sponsored by an employer for this kind of job because there is no nation wide shortage.

Now to your 2nd question (would it be better to do DDS once and for all because ultimately my goal is that only) which you answered yourself, if that is your ultimate goal then start working on it, take your boards, and apply for schools as soon as possible :thumbup:

hi kilani...i am trying to get dental assistantship..but here everyone asks for certification...can you please tell in which state were you working as instructor and how to get xray certification.....thanks in advance....goodluck for your dds program in uopacific.....

kilani said:
swavas, you don't need a DA course to work as a DA in most if not all states (and I've been teaching in a DA program for the past two years, so I know what I'm talking about), you don't even need a license, you should be able to find a temporary job as DA very easily using your dental background. Now I don't much about different types of visa, but I know enough to tell you that there are slim chances to be sponsored by an employer for this kind of job because there is no nation wide shortage.

Now to your 2nd question (would it be better to do DDS once and for all because ultimately my goal is that only) which you answered yourself, if that is your ultimate goal then start working on it, take your boards, and apply for schools as soon as possible :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
celestial said:
hi kilani...i am trying to get dental assistantship..but here everyone asks for certification...can you please tell in which state were you working as instructor and how to get xray certification.....thanks in advance....goodluck for your dds program in uopacific.....

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused, yes you need a certificate from the state to handle x-rays, although I've heard of some dentists waiving this for internationally-trained dentists, in any case you can get that usually through a one-day class, you need to look for it in local DA or hygiene schools in ur area. We certify our own students here in Newport News, VA but we don't offer it to the public, not yet at least.

swavas said:
Hi All,

swavas
Hi! swavas,iam too on H4 visa,and i too thought of the same,but i found out that H1 visa cannot be issued for DA,though it can be done for dental hygienist.If u find that dental assistant can get H1, do keep us updated.

kilani said:

Hi Kilani,
Thank U so much for answering my question.
Though finding a job and working on my visa status is highly improbable,I will try and apply to as many as possible jobs and see .
Once again Thank You For your encouragement and nice words.
Have a nice day
Best Of Luck in all that you are doing

God Bless
swavas

thanks kilani.......
kilani said:
I'm sorry for the confusion I caused, yes you need a certificate from the state to handle x-rays, although I've heard of some dentists waiving this for internationally-trained dentists, in any case you can get that usually through a one-day class, you need to look for it in local DA or hygiene schools in ur area. We certify our own students here in Newport News, VA but we don't offer it to the public, not yet at least.