Question Regarding Department Chair LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

310prolene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to integrated plastic surgery residencies (I have asked this same question on the plastics board, but this forum has higher volume). I have heard conflicting things regarding a chair's letter being required for plastics. Regardless, if I have a letter from a department chair, but I did not click the "department chair" box on ERAS when submitting the letter, is this still considered a "chair's letter"? I would hate to bug the letter writer to go back and re-submit the letter, just so it can be specified as such. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to integrated plastic surgery residencies (I have asked this same question on the plastics board, but this forum has higher volume). I have heard conflicting things regarding a chair's letter being required for plastics. Regardless, if I have a letter from a department chair, but I did not click the "department chair" box on ERAS when submitting the letter, is this still considered a "chair's letter"? I would hate to bug the letter writer to go back and re-submit the letter, just so it can be specified as such. Thank you in advance.

I actually never clicked that box for my letters from chairs at away programs. I interpreted it as marking that box only for the chair from your home program. Either way, I put their title as "chairman" so I don't think it will be a huge deal....any other thoughts?