Question regarding NRSA disbursement following notification of award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpiBiostats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does/did it take your university, following the notice of award on ERA Commons, to transfer the funds into your student account/bank?

As a brief background, I am entering my second year of an NRSA. Last year (2008) I received my first Notice of Research Service Award in the middle of July. The intermediary Office on my campus forwarded the notification and responsibility of disbursement to my department two days later via fax and campus mail. The money did not appear on my student account until 58 days later. The entire ordeal was painful and unprofessional to say the least and I will spare those details for now.

I checked ERA commons in July (this year, 2009) and saw my award for the 2009/2010 cycle. The notification from the campus intermediary was sent out to all relevant parties two days later and I received a letter from my department's business office 2 days after that asking basic questions about disbursement. I answered the questions and began to wait patiently for the money to appear in my student account. It has been 38 days now and the department has ignored my last e-mail. I usually wait 12-14 days after the initial action and then check in on the status of the money every 8-10 days. This doesn't seem too unreasonable and I am very polite about it.

I feel that I am being treated unfairly here and worrying about money constantly is beginning to take a toll on me. Is it unreasonable for me to expect these moneys, once awarded and at my school, to be disbursed to me within 30-40 days? A few more relevant points. The department is fairly small. There are very, very few awards to be dealt with. There is practically zero traffic in the summer whenever I visit the office and all relevant actors are not on vacation. Finally, this is the second year of the award and so the process is familiar to those in the office.

Is there something funny going on here?

Members don't see this ad.