Question regarding residency terminology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sperry

snarkilicious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what was meant by a "transitional year" for residencies. Is it always a negative when looking at match lists? From the little I know, it sounds like it's a last ditch choice when you don't get a residency match in the area you wanted. But then again, I thought that all optho residents had to do one transitional year in medicine first. Are they lumped in the same category? Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some specialialties (derm, ophtho, radiology, anesthesia, a couple others) that require you to complete and preliminary/intern year (or more rarely a couple of prelim years) before starting your specialty work.

Prelim years come in a couple of flavors:
1) Preliminary Medicine - an intern year in internal medicine
2) Prelimary Surgery - and intern year in surgery
3) Transitional year - usually a mix of other things, some surgery, some medicine, etc.

So, transitional year is not always a negative. People are likely doing it before moving on to another specialty (that they would have also matched to as fourth year med students).

I did not have to apply for prelim/transitional spots, but my understanding is that transitional years are actually highly sought after (vs the med/surg years) by those going on in other specialties, making them fairly competitive. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong in this assessment.