Question regarding something in a letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChodeNode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter-writers sent me a copy of the letter they wrote for me. I didn't read it but asked my wife to look it over for any red flags and she said the ending has something about "presenting the future Dr. So-and-so, M.D."

I don't think I told this person I'm applying to both MD and DO schools. I'm still waiting to be verified, so I still have plenty of time to address this. Should I ask my letter-writer to revise it to be more neutral or maybe even create a DO-specific letter?

I guess I'm just not sure if this would offend anybody at the Osteopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad.

If your letter writer is a MD then they may have trouble writing a DO specific letter. Are you not submitting a DO letter with your Osteopathic applications?

Probably be a good idea to get a DO LOR. Most of the schools seem to prefer this over a MD letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
We see stuff like that all the time. Don't sweat it.

One of my letter-writers sent me a copy of the letter they wrote for me. I didn't read it but asked my wife to look it over for any red flags and she said the ending has something about "presenting the future Dr. So-and-so, M.D."

I don't think I told this person I'm applying to both MD and DO schools. I'm still waiting to be verified, so I still have plenty of time to address this. Should I ask my letter-writer to revise it to be more neutral or maybe even create a DO-specific letter?

I guess I'm just not sure if this would offend anybody at the Osteopathic schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Goro understood what I meant.

My letter writer was applying the M.D. suffix to me, in a hopeful and presumptive way. The letter-writer in question is not a physician, but yes, I do have a D.O. writing a letter for me.