Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question regarding the one year gap

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fn7909, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fn7909

fn7909 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a question that I would like to ask but at first I need to inform you about my academic status;

My major is chemistry and I will receive my BA in June of 2006. I am planning to go to medical school after I receive my undergraduate degree. I will take the MCAT in April of 2006 and I will send out my primary application in June of 2006. I am applying to medical schools for Fall of 2007. There is one year gap from the time I get my BA in chemistry, till I get admitted to the medical school.

Here is my question. What would you recommend me to do during this one year gap? because I was thinking about the master degree in public health, does anyone know if this is a good path?
    Your advise will be appreciated

2. fenixwbp

fenixwbp Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You've got another four years of school after this, I think more than anything else you should take a break and do something you want to do.

I'm graduating this spring a year a head of time, and with my extra money I'm going on an 8 month backpacking trip from Madrid, Spain to Bangkok, Thailand. Maybe that's not up your ally, but I'm viewing it like this: This is probably the only time in my life I have no anchors. I don't have a family, a mortgage, and career. This will be the only time I can do something like this. Is there anything you have always wanted to do?

As far a MS in Public Health goes, I think that an awesome idea, if you're looking to expand your credentials and academic knowledge during this year, but look at some less traditional routes as well. What about a Public Health program aboard? Working in a third world country?

3. dr4ku

dr4ku Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I'm a first year who has to work my butt off to do well enough. I am a non-trad., without a science degree and study with several people who sat out a year...such as you. One that I work with, went out and spent two years and got a Masters in Microbiology. I've got to tell u. This person absolutely kicks a.. This 1st semester has been a review. Not that they don't study. We go deep and fast, but it is familiar. Your biochem will serve you well. Genetics and intimate detailed cell biology is where i would spend my time.

Enjoy your time!

That is if you are hard core. if you are not and want some life too. Go! and Do!

You don't have a lot of chances. Do a mission trip. It will give you an advantage in interviews and give you life in its purest form!

What I might do, is summer mission trip, fall '06-genetics and spring '06 microbio. Don't do a sophmore level. Believe in yourself and get into the highest level you can.

4. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I'd say continue with any clinical experience/research you are currently comfortable with, throughout the application year. Just increase the amount of hours you contribute, to show your dedication. Other than that, if your stats are pretty good (>3.7 and >32 on MCAT) --> just take it easy because you'll certainly get interviews/acceptances.

5. Phil Anthropist

Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

There aren't many MPH programs designed to be completed in one year. Dartmouth has one, but it's only in one discipline (Clinical Evaluative Sciences). It also has an MS in the same discipline. Other one year programs are generally for professionals (e.g., people who already have an MD, DO, DDS, DMD, JD, or people who have many years of healthcare work experience). Some SDNers have mentioned doing MPH programs in one year by enrolling in the summer semesters prior to and after the academic year. But again, this isn't typical.

And are you sure you want an MPH? There are many different concentrations--epi, preventive medicine, biostatistics, global health, health policy, etc. Some are even meant as post-doctoral degrees. You'll probably want to research this more before you make a commitment. Furthermore, some medical schools frown on applicants who seem to get MPH degrees because they think it's what the adcoms want. Some MPH grads on here have mentioned being asked why they decided to get MPH degrees before medical school. If you go this route, you should be prepared to answer.

If you want an MPH degree, you might also want to consider combined MPH programs--get your MPH while earning your doctoral degree.

Going abroad sounds like a worthwhile experience. However, several problems could arise. Postal mail can truly be "snail" mail when sent to some foreign countries. Paper-based applications could be delayed (both from and to the med schools). In addition, if you're invited for interviews, you're probably looking at higher travel expenses. Public health degrees in foreign countries won't carry CEPH, ASPH, or state accreditation, so that could also be a problem depending on what you want to do with your degree. It might not affect your personal goals, but there are certainly some potential problems that you may wish to consider.

There are many other options--Americorps, employment, one-year biomedical certificate/master's programs, IRTA research fellowships through NIH (and similar programs for recent college graduates), etc.

This is a duplicate thread, so closing. Please feel free to contribute to the thread in the MPH forum.

Good luck with your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.