Question regarding the sensory perception of pain and temperature.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintysilver237

Reaction score
I was watching the Khan Academy video on pain and temperature and they talk about the 3 different kinds of sensory fibers: fast, medium and slow, describe them, and then say they are also known as A-beta fibers. (linked at that current time in the video: ) I am confused about the way they classify the fibers. Based on what I read on Wikipedia, would it be fair to call fast fibers A-alpha or A-beta, medium as A-delta and slow as C fibers? I am a little lost and also am not sure if this is something I should learn with heavy emphasis. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance :)
1589511067126.png

Members don't see this ad.

I was watching the Khan Academy video on pain and temperature and they talk about the 3 different kinds of sensory fibers: fast, medium and slow, describe them, and then say they are also known as A-beta fibers. (linked at that current time in the video: ) I am confused about the way they classify the fibers. Based on what I read on Wikipedia, would it be fair to call fast fibers A-alpha or A-beta, medium as A-delta and slow as C fibers? I am a little lost and also am not sure if this is something I should learn with heavy emphasis. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance :) View attachment 306340

This is definitely too content heavy for what you need to know for the MCAT. As a more realistic example, if they presented information like this in a question they would provide the chart and have you interpret the myelination of the different neurons based on their conductivity values.

For the sake of answering your question, his classifications are referring to type Aβ as fast, type Aδ as medium, and type C as slow.

This is definitely too content heavy for what you need to know for the MCAT. As a more realistic example, if they presented information like this in a question they would provide the chart and have you interpret the myelination of the different neurons based on their conductivity values.

For the sake of answering your question, his classifications are referring to type Aβ as fast, type Aδ as medium, and type C as slow.
Oh okay. Good to know, thank you so much for clarifying! I will be on the lookout for such questions and just move on then :)

I don't remember seeing this on my Kaplan review book, which is pretty thorough! It would be safe to assume that this won't likely be on the actual test. Just remember the difference between pain and temperature reception--> they're both vanilloid receptors, but pain = breakage of cells release chemicals that bind to TRPV1, while temperature = opens up the gates for activation.