question regarding volunteer work! the one that are accepted, please share infor!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pv214

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gezzzz I didn't know trying to find volunteer work could be so hard.....I called lots of hospitals, and they do not seem to want help in the pharmacy area....I was lucky enuff to find an available position that is specically in Pharmacy....just one quick question, beside doing volunteer work, does other volunteer that is not related to Pharmacy count? let say help abused women, homeless...etc....

All the accepted applicants for this fall of 2005. If u dont mind to share infor about your statistic such as your PCAT Score, ur accumulative and prereq GPA, and what type of volunteer work you did, also how many school you applied to, and how many interviews you got....

Members don't see this ad.

pv214 said:
Gezzzz I didn't know trying to find volunteer work could be so hard.....I called lots of hospitals, and they do not seem to want help in the pharmacy area....I was lucky enuff to find an available position that is specically in Pharmacy....just one quick question, beside doing volunteer work, does other volunteer that is not related to Pharmacy count? let say help abused women, homeless...etc....

I'm sure volunteer that's not pharmacy related definitely counts. I would think as with any profession, people are seeking for multidimensional applicants. The variety of health and community oriented volunteer really helps. How strongly they help should also be dependent on which school you apply to.

During my interviews, I really got the impression that the interviewers were almost more impressed with my other (non-pharmacy) related volunteer work. It kind of gives some insight into your character. I think having pharmacy experience is definately a plus, but almost expected since many or most applicants have been exposed to pharmacy. That said, I think you should only volunteer for a couple of things that really interest you so that you can committ your time and energy to them, instead of volunteering for everything and only spending a small amount of time on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
pv214 said:

All the accepted applicants for this fall of 2005. If u dont mind to share infor about your statistic such as your PCAT Score, ur accumulative and prereq GPA, and what type of volunteer work you did, also how many school you applied to, and how many interviews you got....

I pm'd u

I volunteered for Literacy Volunteers of America, teaching adults to speak and read english as a second language

I volunteered at a local hospital and dabbled in a couple different areas. I tried the In-Patient pharmacy for a very short period of time because for a volunteer there was really not much for me to do. I also volunteered in PACU (post anestesia care unit) and also in the pathology lab. I think that when I interviewed these volunteer experiences made me a more attractive canidate because I was able to tell them that I have have been exposed to other possible job fields and have still choosen pharmacy. It makes you a more rounded person and better qualified to make a decision about your future profession.

pv214 said:

I never volunteered at a hospital or anything during the last 2 years of school. Volunteering is good because it shows compassion for helping people and it's a good way to see if you really want to be a pharmacist. They want you to be exposed to the career a little bit.