Question stem comparison between usmle world bank and the real one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they have have comparable length? i remember when we had to take a shelf exam for one of the courses during our second year, each question had a really long clinical vignette. as far as i can remember, they were significantly longer than what we have in world bank. any comments would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they are very comparable. If anything can be said, I might say that the longest question stems on the USMLE are a few lines longer than the longest seen in UW. But really these were fairly rare on my test (maybe 1 in 10 or less). I just made sure I always read the last line on these before I started in from the top. Doing that, you could almost always cut through these long ones without reading every detail.

Also keep in mind, worrying about the lengths of the question stems won't help you at all. I think the best advice for a person getting ready to take the test soon would be to keep doing questions, reviewing FA, and abstain from SDN until the test.

Yes, they are very comparable. If anything can be said, I might say that the longest question stems on the USMLE are a few lines longer than the longest seen in UW. But really these were fairly rare on my test (maybe 1 in 10 or less). I just made sure I always read the last line on these before I started in from the top. Doing that, you could almost always cut through these long ones without reading every detail.

Also keep in mind, worrying about the lengths of the question stems won't help you at all. I think the best advice for a person getting ready to take the test soon would be to keep doing questions, reviewing FA, and abstain from SDN until the test.

Haha man thanks for the advice because everything you said applies to me perfectly :thumbup: I think I should also learn to read through last line and choices first before reading all the stem. Should help eliminate unnecessary info because I have a habit of thinking through just about every lab value and info, and it wastes time.

uworld did a very good job of simulating the question lengths. the only really long stems on mine were behavioral science q's, just like in uworld. i'd say the majority were 5 sentences or less.